Information about Tobramycin
Tobramycin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How tobramycin works
Tobramycin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of tobramycin
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Skin rash, Hearing loss, Balance disorder (loss of balance)
Available Medicine for Tobramycin
- ₹92Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹84Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹331Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹43Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹102Alcon Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹66Optho Remedies Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹81Allergan India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹61Indoco Remedies Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹63Syntho Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹70Jawa Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tobramycin
- Do not use tobramycin if you are allergic to it or any other component in the formulation.
- Driving and using machinery should be avoided in cases where tobramycin usage causes dizziness or eye drops cause blurring of vision.
- Do not mix or dilute your tobramycin with any other medicine in your nebulizer.
- If you are taking several different treatments for cystic fibrosis, you should take them in the following order: bronchodilator (e.g. salbutamol), then chest physiotherapy, followed by inhaled medicines, and then tobramycin.
- Do not use contact lenses when on treatment with tobramycin eye drops.
- If you are using more than one eye drop, keep a gap of at least 5-10 minutes between two different eye drops.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of patients with following history of disease conditions: neuromuscular disorders such as parkinsonism, myasthenia gravis (characterized by movement disorders and/or muscle weakness); coughing up blood in your sputum; kidney problem.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever experienced in the past: ringing in ears, any other problems with hearing, dizziness while taking tobramycin.
Frequently asked questions for Tobramycin
Q. Is tobramycin a sulfa drug or penicillin antibiotic?
No. Tobramycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic used to treat Pseudomonas infections and other serious infections in patients (6 years and older) with cystic fibrosis
Q. Does tobramycin treat styes, Pseudomonas, pink eye, staphylococcus and methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)?
Tobramycin/dexamethasone combination can be used to cure pink eye and styes, which are superficial eye and eyelid infections. Tobramycin treats Pseudomonas infections however it is not drug of choice in the treatment of staphylococcus or MRSA
Q. Is tobramycin safe for infants?
No. Due to high propensity for kidney and internal ear damage, tobramycin shouldn't be given to infants
Q. Is tobramycin over the counter?
No. Tobramycin belongs to schedule H and can be obtained only on production of valid prescription
Q. Is tobramycin the same as ofloxacin?
No. Tobramycin and Ofloxacin belong to different class of antibiotics, and are used to treat different sets of infections.