Information about Tizanidine
Tizanidine is used for muscle relaxation. It treats muscle spasms which may occur in diseases affecting the nervous system, such as cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease, or due to a disease or injury of head, brain, or spine.
How tizanidine works
Tizanidine is a muscle relaxant. It works on the centres in the brain and spinal cord to relieve muscle stiffness or spasm without reduction in strength. This improves pain and movement of muscles.
Common side effects of tizanidine
Dizziness, Sleepiness, Dryness in mouth, Stomach upset
Available Medicine for Tizanidine
- ₹100 to ₹131Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹123Novartis India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹61 to ₹74Gold Line2 variant(s)
- ₹72Ikon Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹80Rhine Biogenics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹52Bangalore Antibiotics & Biologicals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹36Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹56Ordain Health Care Global Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49Raddison Health Care Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40Redson Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tizanidine
- Tizanidine provides relief from rigidity, tension and stiffness in muscles (spasticity) that may occur due to various conditions affecting the nervous system.
- Take it with or after food or a glass of milk.
- Tizanidine may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Tizanidine as it may cause excessive drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking it suddenly without talking to your doctor if you've been on it for a long time.
Frequently asked questions for Tizanidine
Q. Does Tizanidine contain sulfa or asprin?
Tizanidine does not contain sulfa and aspirin
Q. Is Tizanidine an opiate, NSAID, blood thinner, controlled substance, or muscle relaxer?
Tizanidine is not an opiate, NSAID, blood thinner or a controlled substance. It is a muscle relaxant
Q. Is Tizanidine like valium?
Valium is a brand name for drug diazepam. It is also used as a muscle relaxant, but both have different functions. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Is Tizanidine stronger than Flexeril?
Flexeril is a brand name for drug cyclobenzaprine, which is also used as a muscle relaxant. Effect of the drug may vary upon individual response. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Is tizanidine water soluble?
Tizanidine is a lipid-soluble drug; it is only slightly soluble in water and methanol
Q. Is Tizanidine gluten free?
Tizanidine is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use
Q. Can I take Tizanidine or Zanaflex for menstrual cramps, headaches, or anxiety?
No, you cannot take Tizanidine or Zanaflex (which contains Tizanidine) for menstrual cramps, headaches, or anxiety. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Does Tizanidine cause weight loss or keep you awake (insomnia)?
You may experience insomnia or weight loss with the use of Tizanidine. Few people may experience excessive sleepiness. If you experience such side effects, consult your doctor
Q. Can I take Tizanidine with Aleve (naproxen), Ambien (zolpidem), Norco (acetaminophen and hydrocodone), Tylenol (paracetamol), Valium (diazepam), or Xanax (alprazolam)?
You may take Aleve and Tylenol with Tizanidine, but Ambien, Norco, Valium, and Xanax should not be given with Tizanidine. Consult your doctor before simultaneous use
Q. Can I take tizanidine with prednisone, ibuprofen, tramadol, or oxycodone?
Tizanidine may be taken with prednisone or ibuprofen, but tramadol or oxycodone with tizanidine may increase their side effects. Consult your doctor before simultaneous use
Q. Does Tizanidine show on a drug test?
No, Tizanidine does not show on a drug test. Only narcotic drugs show up on a drug test.