Information about Tibolone
How tibolone works
Tibolone has an effect similar to female sex hormones, estrogen. It helps to relieve symptoms of menopause, such as osteoporosis, hot flashes, night sweats and vaginal problems.
Common side effects of tibolone
Lower abdominal pain, Breast tenderness, Uterine bleeding , Abnormal hair growth, Vaginal discharge, Endometrial hyperplasia
Available Medicine for Tibolone
- ₹403Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1395Organon (India) Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹263Serum Institute Of India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹209Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tibolone
- You should undergo regular breast screening and cervical smear tests while on tibolone therapy.
- Ensure that you regularly check your breasts for any changes such as dimpling of the skin, changes in the nipple, or formation of any lumps.
- Take precaution to not take tibolone until 12 months after your last natural period, if you have undergone menopause as doing so may lead to irregular bleeding.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you notice any signs of liver disease such as yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes (jaundice) or a rise in your blood pressure (symptoms may be headache, tiredness, dizziness), migraine-like headaches, if you notice signs of a blood clot, such as painful swelling and redness of the legs, sudden chest pain, difficulty in breathing.
- You may have irregular bleeding or drops of blood (spotting) during the first 3-6 months of taking tibolone. Seek immediate medical attention if this carries on for > 6 months or starts after 6 months or continues even after stopping the medicine.
- Exercise caution as you may be at increased risk of cancer of the lining of the womb, ovarian cancer, blood clot in a vein, heart disease or stroke.
Frequently asked questions for Tibolone
Q. Is tibolone safe?
Tibolone is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is tibolone hormone replacement therapy (HRT)?
Yes, tibolone is a hormone replacement therapy that replaces estrogen in postmenopausal women, or women with estrogen deficiency due to ovarian failure or surgical ovarian removal
Q. Is tibolone a steroid?
Tibolone is a synthetic steroid that has actions similar to estrogen, progesterone, and weakly similar androgens (male sex hormones) naturally present in the body
Q. How long can I take tibolone/livial for?
Tibolone should be taken as prescribed by your doctor. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding the same
Q. Does tibolone cause weight gain/ hair loss/increase libido/insomnia?
Tibolone does cause weight gain. However, hair loss/increased sexual drive/ insomnia do not commonly occur with tibolone
Q. Does tibolone contain testosterone?
No, tibolone does not contain testosterone
Q. Does tibolone stop periods?
Tibolone is used in postmenopausal women with at least 12 months (1 year) since their last natural period. It has no indication for use in women who are menstruating. However, if used, it can stop and cause irregularity in periods.