Information about Thyroxine
Thyroxine is used in the treatment of hypothyroidism.
How Thyroxine works
Thyroxine is a synthetic version of a hormone produced by the thyroid gland. It works by replacing the thyroid hormones that your thyroid gland cannot produce and relieves the symptoms of hypothyroidism (tiredness, weight gain, and depression).
Common side effects of Thyroxine
Headache, Fatigue, Electrolyte imbalance, Dizziness, Muscle cramp
Serve side effects of Thyroxine
Vomiting, Diarrhea, Palpitations, Nervousness, Weight loss, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Tremors, Irregular menstrual cycle, Increased appetite, Increased sweating, Hair loss, Muscle weakness, Fever, Hyperactivity, Heat intolerance, Irritability, Decreased fertility, Reduction in bone density
Available Medicine for Thyroxine
₹29 to ₹26014 variant(s)
ThyroxMacleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
₹121 to ₹28916 variant(s)
EltroxinGlaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹89 to ₹1938 variant(s)
Thyroxoin SodiumMacleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
ThyrofitEris Lifesciences Ltd
₹36 to ₹17711 variant(s)
LethyroxIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹35 to ₹1619 variant(s)
EuthyroidAkumentis Healthcare Ltd
₹64 to ₹1303 variant(s)
ThyromedComed Chemicals Ltd
₹121 to ₹1555 variant(s)
₹121 to ₹1659 variant(s)
₹118 to ₹22811 variant(s)
Expert advice for Thyroxine
- Thyroxine should be taken on an empty stomach (ideally, first thing in the morning). No food, milk, or tea should be taken 1 hour before and 2 hours after taking this medicine.
- It may take 6 to 8 weeks to get the full effect.
- For most people, Thyroxine can be a lifelong medication. Do not discontinue it without discussing your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you have diarrhea, nervousness, irritability, sleep disturbances, shaking hands, or chest pain. Your doctor may adjust your dose.
- Leave a gap of at least 4 hours before taking any antacids, calcium or iron supplements, and multivitamins, as these may interfere with the effect of the medicine.
- Get your hormone levels checked regularly and inform your doctor if you notice a significant change in your body weight. The dose may need to be adjusted.
- Inform your doctor before changing the brand of Thyroxine as all brands may not have the same effect.