Information about Thyroxine
Thyroxine is used in the treatment of hypothyroidism.
How Thyroxine works
Thyroxine is a synthetic version of a hormone produced by the thyroid gland. It works by replacing the thyroid hormones that your thyroid gland cannot produce and relieves the symptoms of hypothyroidism (tiredness, weight gain, and depression).
Common side effects of Thyroxine
Anxiety, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Palpitations, Nervousness, Weight loss, Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Restlessness
Available Medicine for Thyroxine
₹131 to ₹22913 variant(s)
EltroxinGlaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹79 to ₹1597 variant(s)
ThyroxMacleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
₹109 to ₹23910 variant(s)
₹71 to ₹20515 variant(s)
Thyroxoin SodiumMacleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
ThyrofitEris Lifesciences Ltd
₹30 to ₹16810 variant(s)
LethyroxIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹53 to ₹1448 variant(s)
EuthyroidAkumentis Healthcare Ltd
₹54 to ₹1193 variant(s)
ThyromedComed Chemicals Ltd
₹107 to ₹1555 variant(s)
₹90 to ₹1459 variant(s)
Expert advice for Thyroxine
- Thyroxine should be taken on an empty stomach (ideally, first thing in the morning). No food, milk, or tea should be taken 1 hour before and 2 hours after taking this medicine.
- It may take 6 to 8 weeks to get the full effect.
- For most people, Thyroxine can be a lifelong medication. Do not discontinue it without discussing your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you have diarrhea, nervousness, irritability, sleep disturbances, shaking hands, or chest pain. Your doctor may adjust your dose.
- Leave a gap of at least 4 hours before taking any antacids, calcium or iron supplements, and multivitamins, as these may interfere with the effect of the medicine.
- Get your hormone levels checked regularly and inform your doctor if you notice a significant change in your body weight. The dose may need to be adjusted.
- Inform your doctor before changing the brand of Thyroxine as all brands may not have the same effect.