Information about Tetracycline
Tetracycline is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How tetracycline works
Tetracycline is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of tetracycline
Photosensitivity, Vomiting, Nausea, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Tetracycline
- ₹14 to ₹27Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹24Mercury Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹19Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹30Sanofi India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹10Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹21Laborate Pharmaceuticals India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹9Agron Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹10Aurochem Laboratories India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tetracycline
- Your doctor has prescribed Tetracycline to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- It should be taken on an empty stomach.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Do not take antacids or medicines containing zinc or iron at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking Tetracycline.
- Discontinue Tetracycline and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- It may cause dizziness. Don't drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how Tetracycline affects you.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Tetracycline
Q. Can I drink milk while taking Tetracycline?
No, you should avoid using milk and milk products while taking Tetracycline. Consuming dairy products along with Tetracycline can decrease its absorption from the stomach, which may lead to inadequate affect of this medicine.
Q. How long after taking Tetracycline can I eat?
It is best to wait for 2 hours after consuming Tetracycline. Consuming food along with Tetracycline may decrease its absorption from the stomach.
Q. Can I take Tetracycline with food if its causing stomach upset?
Yes, you can take Tetracycline with food if its causing you stomach upset. However, avoid consuming milk and milk products 1 hr before and 2 hr after taking this medicine.
Q. How long does Tetracycline takes to work?
Usually, Tetracycline starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. Can the use of Tetracycline cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Tetracycline can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.