Information about Teicoplanin
Teicoplanin is used in the treatment of serious bacterial infections.
How teicoplanin works
Teicoplanin is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects of teicoplanin
Nausea, Headache, Rash, Itching, Erythema, Dizziness, Reduced blood platelets, Vomiting, Fever, Decreased potassium level in blood, Decreased white blood cell count, Diarrhoea, Anaphylactic reaction, Inflammation of a vein
Available Medicine for Teicoplanin
- ₹1170 to ₹2101Sanofi India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹967 to ₹1854Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹761 to ₹1838Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1184 to ₹2025Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹917 to ₹1475Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1360Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹599 to ₹999Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1430Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹885 to ₹1525Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹875 to ₹1703Abbott2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Teicoplanin
- Do not take teicoplanin if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to vancomycin, teicoplanin or any of the other ingredients of teicoplanin formulation.
- Do not take teicoplanin if you have red man syndrome; low platelet count in the blood (thrombocytopenia); kidney problem.
- Avoid using teicoplanin if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking teicoplanin because you may feel drowsy.
- Do the blood tests for complete blood cell count at regular intervals.
- Do not prolong the use of teicoplanin.
Frequently asked questions for Teicoplanin
Q. Is teicoplanin a penicillin or does it contain penicillin?
No, teicoplanin is not penicillin and it does not contain penicillin
Q. Is Teicoplanin nephrotoxic?
It is nephrotoxic in patients with kidney problem and in those receiving Teicoplanin concurrently with other medicinal products having nephrotoxic potential (eg. aminoglycosides, cisplatin).Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is teicoplanin safe in penicillin allergy?
Yes, it is safe in penicillin allergy
Q. What is Teicoplanin used for?
Teicoplanin is used to treat infections of skin and soft tissues, bones and joints, lung (pneumonia), urinary tract, inner layer of the heart called endocardium, peritonitis associated with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD). Teicoplanin is also used as an alternative oral treatment for Clostridium difficile infection-associated diarrhea and colitis
Q. How does Teicoplanin work?
It is antibacterial medicine and works by killing the bacteria that causes infections.