Tamsulosin + Dutasteride
Information about Tamsulosin + Dutasteride
Tamsulosin + dutasteride uses
Tamsulosin + Dutasteride is used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
How tamsulosin + dutasteride works
This is a combination of two medicines: Tamsulosin and Dutasteride, which relieves the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Tamsulosin is an alpha-blocker. It works by relaxing the muscle around the bladder exit and prostate gland so as to allow easy passage of urine. Dutasteride is a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor which helps in shrinking the prostate by decreasing the level of the hormone which helps the prostate gland grow.
Common side effects of tamsulosin + dutasteride
Impotence, Decreased libido, Breast pain, Ejaculation disorder, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Tamsulosin + Dutasteride
- ₹434Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹365Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹150Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹345 to ₹697Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹245Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹288Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹221Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹180La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹235Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹331Modi Mundi Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tamsulosin + Dutasteride
- You have been prescribed Tamsulosin + Dutasteride to relieve symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Take it approximately 30 minutes after the same meal each day.
- Tamsulosin + Dutasteride may cause dizziness or blurring of vision. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- If you are scheduled to undergo an eye surgery due to cataract or glaucoma, inform your eye doctor about the usage of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride.
- It may cause difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection (impotence), decreased sex drive, and ejaculation disorders such as decreased amount of semen produced or decreased sperm count.
- Do not donate blood for 6 months after taking the last dose of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride.
Frequently asked questions for Tamsulosin + Dutasteride
Tamsulosin + Dutasteride
Q. Is it safe to use Tamsulosin + Dutasteride?
Tamsulosin + Dutasteride is safe for most of the patients when used according to the recommended dose and duration. However, in some patients it may cause common side effects like impotence, decreased libido, breast pain, ejaculation disorder, dizziness and other uncommon or rare side effects. Inform your doctor as soon as possible if you experience any persistent problem while taking this medicine.
Q. Can the use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride causes dizziness?
Yes, the use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride can cause dizziness as Tamsulosin can cause a fall in blood pressure when changing the posture from lying down to sitting or standing posture (orthostatic hypotension). This sudden fall in blood pressure can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, sensation of spinning and vertigo. If you feel dizzy or lightheaded, it is better to rest for some time and resume once you feel better. Do not drive or use any machines.
Q. What are the contraindications associated with the use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride?
The use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride is considered to be harmful for men under the age of 18 years as it may affect the normal development of the male reproductive tract. The use of this medicine is also considered to be harmful for patients with known allergy to any of the components or excipients of this medicine and in women who are pregnant or of childbearing potential. This medicine should not even be handled by a pregnant female as it may get absorbed through the skin and cause harm to the fetus.
Q. Can I take a higher than the recommended dose of this medicine?
No, taking a higher than recommended dose of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride can increase the risks of side effects. Always take your medicines according to the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor.
Q. Apart from taking medicines, what should I do to manage my prostate symptoms?
Simple lifestyle changes can help you manage your prostate symptoms better. Try to urinate when you first get the urge. However, take care not to strain or push while urinating. Avoid drinking fluids (especially alcohol, caffeine) a few hours before bedtime or going out. You should also avoid medicines which tend to worsen urinary symptoms like some over-the-counter medicines for cold and cough.
Q. Can the use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride cause ejaculation problems?
Retrograde ejaculation (semen does not leave the body, instead goes into the bladder) and ejaculation failure (reduced or absent ejaculation volume) are common problems associated with the use of Tamsulosin. But this is harmless and more commonly seen when consumed in high doses. Priapism (painful erection) is also a rare and serious side effect associated with its use.
Q. Can the use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride cause priapism (persistent painful penile erection unrelated to sexual activity)?
Yes, the use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride can cause priapism (painful penile erection). It is a rare and serious side effect associated with its use. This condition can lead to permanent impotence if not treated immediately.
Q. Can the use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride have any impact on my cataract surgery?
Use of Tamsulosin + Dutasteride can cause floppy eye syndrome in which the muscles of the iris become floppy and the pupil constricts unexpectedly during cataract surgery. So, when the eye surgeon actually needs a dilated pupil, the pupil constricts unexpectedly thereby restricting the field of surgery because of which the surgical outcomes can get affected. Inform your eye doctor (ophthalmologist) if you are taking this medicine or in case you have used this medicine in the last 9 months.
Q. What is the storage condition for the Tamsulosin + Dutasteride?
Keep this medicine in the container or the pack it came in, tightly closed. Store it according to the instructions mentioned on the pack or label. Dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people.