Information about Tamsulosin
Tamsulosin is used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
How tamsulosin works
Tamsulosin is an alpha blocker. It works by relaxing the muscles around the bladder exit and prostate gland so urine is passed more easily. This helps empty the bladder completely and reduces the need to pass urine frequently or urgently in BPH.
Common side effects of tamsulosin
Retrograde ejaculation, Dizziness, Nasal congestion
Available Medicine for Tamsulosin
- ₹85 to ₹289Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹51 to ₹132Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹109Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹318Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹65Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹107 to ₹186Modi Mundi Pharma Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹190Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹139Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹57FDC Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹97La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Tamsulosin
- Tamsulosin helps in relieving the symptoms of enlarged prostate. It does not decrease the size of the prostate.
- Tamsulosin must be taken with food.
- You will feel better within hours or days of starting the treatment. Full effect is usually seen within 2 weeks.
- Tamsulosin may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- If you are scheduled to undergo an eye surgery due to cataract or glaucoma, inform your eye doctor about the usage of Tamsulosin.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Tamsulosin
Q. Apart from taking medicines, what should I do to manage my prostate symptoms?
Simple lifestyle changes can help you manage your symptoms better. Try to urinate when you first get the urge. However, take care not to strain or push to empty your bladder. Avoid drinking fluids (especially alcohol, caffeine) a few hours before bedtime or going out. Also, you should not take any other medicine without consulting your doctor because some medicines can increase your urge to urinate.
Q. Can the use of Tamsulosin increase blood sugar levels?
Use of Tamsulosin does not increase your blood sugar levels. If you notice any change in the blood sugar levels while taking it, consult your doctor as this could be due to some condition which needs attention.
Q. When does Tamsulosin start to work?
An improvement in urine flow can be seen in 4 to 8 hours after taking Tamsulosin. However, it may take 2 to 4 weeks for the full effect to come.
Q. Can I take Tamsulosin with ibuprofen or paracetamol?
Tamsulosin can be taken with ibuprofen or paracetamol. No harmful side effects or other interactions have been seen when they are taken together.
Q. How does Tamsulosin help in removal of kidney stones?
In patient with kidney stones, Tamsulosin helps in removal of stones via urine. It works by relaxing the muscles of the urinary tract which causes an easy removal of the stones.Use of Tamsulosin in kidney stones also decreases the need for painkillers.
Q. Can I take Tamsulosin with vitamin D?
Yes, Tamsulosin can be taken with vitamin D. No harmful effects or interactions have been reported when these are used together.
Q. Why does Tamsulosin cause dizziness?
Tamsulosin dilates the blood vessels and leads to the accumulation of blood in the extremities (ends of the arms and limbs). This restrains the proper flow of blood to the brain, thereby causing the blood pressure to fall on the sudden change in posture. As a result, the patient may experience dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, spinning sensation, and vertigo.
Q. Why should I stop taking Tamsulosin before my cataract surgery?
Tamsulosin can cause floppy eye syndrome in which the muscles of the iris become floppy and the pupil constricts unexpectedly during cataract surgery. So, when the eye surgeon actually needs a dilated pupil, it will constrict and restrict the field of surgery, and can affect the surgical outcomes.
Q. Why does Tamsulosin cause stuffy nose?
Tamsulosin relaxes the smooth muscles of the blood vessels and this vasodilation of the blood vessels can cause a stuffy nose.