Information about Sumatriptan
Sumatriptan is used in migraine. It relieves the symptoms of migraine and prevents the attack from becoming worse.
How sumatriptan works
Migraine headaches are thought to result from the dilatation (swelling) of blood vessels in the head. Sumatriptan works by constricting (narrowing) the blood vessels in the head, stops transmission of pain signals to the brain, and blocks the release of chemicals that cause nausea and other migraine symptoms. This relieves the migraine attack.
Common side effects of sumatriptan
Dizziness, Tingling sensation, Vertigo, Feeling hot
Available Medicine for Sumatriptan
- ₹34 to ₹631Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹1295Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹270Sunrise Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹300 to ₹800Healing Pharma3 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹72Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹29Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Sumatriptan
- You have been prescribed Sumatriptan for treatment of migraine headaches.
- Some tips that may help avoid a migraine attack:
- Have your meals at the same time everyday
- Avoid bright lights and extreme temperatures
- Avoid loud music and noisy places
- Avoid chocolates, cheese, processed food, alcohol and smoking
- Get enough sleep and avoid stress
- It may cause sleepiness. Don't drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- Notify your doctor if your migraine occurs more often after starting the medication.
- Notify your doctor if you have stomach pain, headache, bloody diarrhoea or worsening high blood pressure.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of heart disease or stroke.
- This medication does not prevent migraine attacks from happening.
Frequently asked questions for Sumatriptan
Q. How long does Sumatriptan take to work?
Usually, Sumatriptan starts working within 1-2 hour of taking this medicine, and helps in relieving the migraine attack. However, in very few instances, Sumatriptan may take more than the expected time. Talk to your doctor if Sumatriptan is helping you during migraine attacks.
Q. What can cause or trigger a migraine attack?
Certain physical or environmental factors, such as foods, hormonal changes, weather, and stress, can lead to or “trigger” a migraine. However, it’s important to remember that triggers are different for everyone. That’s why, to help prevent migraine attacks, you need to figure out which triggers affect you and which ones don’t. Keeping a headache diary is an effective way to track triggers, and it will help you talk to your healthcare professional about your condition.
Q. Can I take Sumatriptan on an empty stomach?
Yes, you can take Sumatriptan on an empty stomach. This medicine can be taken with or with without food.
Q. What is a migraine, and how is it different from other headaches?
Migraine is usually a one sided headache that is usually severe, intense and recurring. A headache is often accompanied with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. Usually, migraine headaches are more painful and lasts longer when compared to a common headache.
Q. Will Sumatriptan help in preventing my future migraine attack?
No, Sumatriptan does not help in preventing or reducing the frequency of future migraine attacks. Sumatriptan is used to treat an ongoing migraine attack.