Information about Streptomycin
How streptomycin works
Streptomycin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of streptomycin
Neck pain, Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement), Pain, Increased white blood cell count, Balance disorder (loss of balance), Dizziness, Inability to empty the urinary bladder, Ringing in ear, Vertigo
Available Medicine for Streptomycin
- ₹8 to ₹11Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹199Genecia Healthcare1 variant(s)
- ₹4Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Streptomycin
• Tell your doctor if you have hearing difficulties, nerve problems, muscle problems, Parkinson’s disease, pre-existing vertigo (spinning sensation) or kidney problems.
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
• Should not be given to patients allergic to streptomycin or any of its ingredients.
Frequently asked questions for Streptomycin
Q. Is Streptomycin bactericidal or bacteriostatic?
Streptomycin is bactericidal
Q. Is Streptomycin still used today?
Antidiarrheal and parenteral preparations containing Streptomycin are banned.