Information about Stavudine
Stavudine is used in the treatment of hiv infection.
How stavudine works
Stavudine prevents the multiplication of HIV virus in human cells. Thus stops the HIV virus from producing new viruses.
Common side effects of stavudine
Fatigue, Headache, Nausea, Dizziness.
Available Medicine for Stavudine
- ₹229Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Stavudine
- Take stavudine at least one hour before food.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while taking this drug as it may cause dizziness.
- Tell your doctor before taking the stavudine if you have liver or kidney disease, peripheral neuropathy (numbness, tingling and pain in the limbs) or pancreatitis (inflammation of pancreas) or if you are lactose-intolerant.
- Inform your doctor before taking stavudine if you are taking other medications like zidovudine, didanosine, doxorubicin, hydroxyurea, or ribavirin.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you notice problems with pancreas or liver function or suffer from symptoms of lactic acidosis (you can have nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, loss of appetite, weight loss, rapid and/or deep breathing, neurological symptoms).
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking stavudine as it may worsen the side effects.
- Take necessary precautions while using stavudine to prevent the spread of HIV to others.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Stavudine
Q. What is stavudine used for?
Stavudine is used to prevent the spread of HIV or its related illness in the infected patient.