Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid
Information about Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid
Sodium valproate + valproic acid uses
Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid is used in the treatment of epilepsy.
How sodium valproate + valproic acid works
This is a combination of two antiepileptic medicines: Sodium Valproate and Valproic Acid. They work together to control seizures or fits by decreasing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of sodium valproate + valproic acid
Nausea, Vomiting, Weight gain, Loss of appetite, Gum swelling, Headache, Sleepiness, Tremor, Hair loss, Liver injury
Available Medicine for Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid
- ₹33 to ₹140Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹65 to ₹107Sanofi India Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹154Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹128Abbott11 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹63Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹107Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹85La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹87Cipla Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹107Ipca Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹97Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid
- You have been prescribed Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid for treatment and prevention of seizures.
- Take it at the same time every day to maintain consistent levels in your body.
- Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Monitor your weight during the treatment as Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid can cause weight gain.
- Your doctor may monitor Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid level, blood counts and liver function regularly throughout your treatment. Inform your doctor if you develop fever, stomach pain, nausea or yellowing of your eyes or skin.
- Do not take Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.
Frequently asked questions for Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid
Sodium Valproate + Valproic Acid
Q. Can the use of Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid cause sleepiness or drowsiness?
Yes, Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid may make you feel drowsy or sleepy. Avoid driving, operating machinery, working at heights or participating in potentially dangerous activities. Inform your doctor if you experience such an episode while taking this medicine.
Q. Can I drink alcohol while taking Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid?
No, avoid drinking alcohol while taking Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid. Drinking alcohol will increase the side effects caused by Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid.
Q. Can Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid be stopped when epilepsy symptoms are relieved?
No, Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid should be continued as advised by the doctor. Stopping Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid suddenly may cause the symptoms to reappear that too with increased frequency. If any problems are experienced due to Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid, consult the doctor for re-evaluation.
Q. Will a higher than the recommended dose of Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid be more effective?
No, taking a higher than the recommended dose may not be more effective, rather it may increase the chances of having serious side effects and toxicity. If the recommended doses do not relieve your symptoms or there is an increased severity of your symptoms, please consult your doctor.
Q. What are the instructions for the storage and disposal of Sodium Valproate+Valproic Acid?
Keep this medicine in the container it came in, tightly closed. Store it according to the instructions mentioned on the pack or label. Dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people.