Information about Sodium Valproate
Sodium valproate uses
How sodium valproate works
Sodium Valproate is an antiepileptic medication. It controls seizures or fits by decreasing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of sodium valproate
Loss of appetite, Nausea, Vomiting, Sleepiness, Hair loss, Weight gain, Liver function abnormal, Tremor
Available Medicine for Sodium Valproate
- ₹23 to ₹124Sanofi India Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹123Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹65Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹123Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹29Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹71Oxford Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹118Kivi Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹85Theo Pharma Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹70Numed1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Sodium Valproate
- Sodium Valproate helps in the treatment and prevention of seizures.
- Take it at the same time every day to maintain consistent levels in your body.
- It may cause dizziness and sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Sodium Valproate, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Monitor your weight during treatment with this medicine as it can cause weight gain.
- Inform your doctor if you develop any unusual changes in mood or behavior, new or worsening depression, or suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Do not take Sodium Valproate if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.
Frequently asked questions for Sodium Valproate
Q. I have been taking Sodium Valproate for a year, and I did not have any episode of seizure during this time. For how long should I take it to cure my epilepsy completely?
Sodium Valproate does not cure your condition, it only prevents the seizures from occurring. Therefore, you will have to keep on taking it, maybe for years. Consult your doctor if face any problems while taking this medicine.
Q. What happens if I stop taking Sodium Valproate?
You should not stop taking Sodium Valproate suddenly. It should be discontinued gradually. Stopping it suddenly may increase the chances of recurrence of seizures. Always consult your doctor if you feel the need to stop taking this medicine.
Q. I have gained weight after I started using Sodium Valproate. Is it because of this medicine? What should I do?
Yes, weight gain can occur with the use of Sodium Valproate. To control your weight, you should have a healthy balanced diet and exercise regularly. Talk to your doctor if you have any other concerns.
Q. Can I take birth control pills while taking Sodium Valproate?
Yes, Sodium Valproate does not have any effect on the working of birth control pills. However, contraceptives (birth control pills) may interfere with the working of Sodium Valproate and seizures may occur. It is important that you inform your doctor that you are using birth control pills. Your doctor will keep a track on your response to the treatment and monitor the Sodium Valproate levels in your blood levels.
Q. Is it safe to take Sodium Valproate for long term?
Many patients can safely take Sodium Valproate for a long time. Rarely, long-term use of Sodium Valproate may weaken your bones, thereby increasing their chances of breaking easily (osteoporosis and osteopenia). If you are taking Sodium Valproate for a long time, get regular check ups done for bone health.