Sodium Lactate is used in short term fluid replacement after trauma.
How it works
Sodium lactate belongs to a class of drugs called minerals, electrolytes and urinary pH modifiers. Sodium lactate is slowly broken down to carbon dioxide and water thereby maintaining the fluid balance in the body.
Common side effects
Pain, Swelling, Panic attacks, Injection site reaction, Discharge, Hypersensitivity reaction, Fluid overload, Infusion site reaction, Infusion site pain, Nasal congestion, Sneezing
- Do not use sodium lactate for the treatment of lactic acidosis (characterized by low pH in body tissues and blood) or severe metabolic acidosis (condition when the body produces excessive quantities of acid or when the kidneys are not removing enough acid from the body) or for treatment of severe potassium deficiency.
- Seek immediate medical attention in case of fluid overloading resulting in electrolyte imbalances, overhydration, congested states, pulmonary edema or acid-base imbalance.
- Exercise caution in patients with alkalosis or at risk for alkalosis (an excessively alkaline condition of the body fluids or tissues, which may cause weakness or cramp), patients with severe kidney impairment, hypervolemia (fluid overload), overhydration, or conditions that may cause sodium retention, fluid overload, or edema.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if patient is allergic to sodium lactate or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if patients with hypervolemia, severe kidney insufficiency, uncompensated heart failure, hyperkalemia (high serum potassium concentration), hypercalcaemia ((high serum calcium concentration), metabolic alkalosis, ascitic cirrhosis (accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity).
- Do not take patients with conditions associated with increased lactate levels (hyperlactatemia) including lactic acidosis, or impaired lactate utilization, such as severe liver insufficiency and patients taking concomitant digitalis therapy.
Frequently asked questions
Q.Is sodium lactate safe?
Sodium lactate is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.