Information about Simvastatin
Simvastatin is used in the treatment of increased cholesterol, increased triglycerides and increased LDL levels.
How simvastatin works
Simvastatin is a cholesterol-lowering medicine (statins). It works by blocking an enzyme (HMG-CoA-reductase) that is required in the body to make cholesterol. It thus lower "bad" cholesterol (LDL), triglycerides and raise "good" cholesterol (HDL).
Common side effects of simvastatin
Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Allergic reaction, Headache, Nausea, Dyspepsia, Nasopharyngitis, Increased liver enzymes, Increased creatine phosphokinase (CPK) level in blood, Diarrhoea, Flatulence, Constipation, Joint swelling, Increased glucose level in blood
Available Medicine for Simvastatin
- ₹78 to ₹300Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹105 to ₹155USV Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹97Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹53Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹99Akumentis Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹76Bal Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹173Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹74 to ₹99Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹124Aretaeus Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹61Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Simvastatin
- Take Simvastatin in the evening as cholesterol synthesis in liver is highest between midnight and 2:00 AM.
- Decreases bad cholesterol and triglycerides, and increases good cholesterol levels.
- Avoid taking more than 2 glasses of alcohol a day as it may increase the risk of liver damage.
- Avoid antacids for at least 2 hours before and after taking Simvastatin.
- Inform your doctor if you have sudden muscle pain, fever, weakness, dark urine or yellow colour in your eyes or skin.
Frequently asked questions for Simvastatin
Q. Is simvastatin a blood thinner or a beta blocker or steroid or diuretic or is it a statin or does simvastatin thin your blood?
No, simvastatin is a statin (lipid-lowering agents) or HMG CoA reductase inhibitors
Q. Is simvastatin the same as Lipitor (atorvastatin) or Crestor (rosuvastatin) or pravastatin?
No, although it belongs to same group of medications called statins
Q. Can I take simvastatin with ibuprofen or lisinopril?
No results found for any interaction of simvastatin with ibuprofen or lisinopril, but always consult with your doctor before taking this medication
Q. Can I take antibiotics or clarithromycin or amoxicillin or erythromycin or amlodipine or aspirin with simvastatin?
No, do not take antibiotics or clarithromycin or amoxicillin or erythromycin or amlodipine or aspirin with simvastatin, because they interact with each other
Q. Does Simvastatin cause hair loss or dry mouth or hair loss or constipation or diabetes or depression or it makes you high?
No. Simvastatin does not cause hair loss or dry mouth or hair loss or constipation or diabetes or depression and it is not addictive
Q. Does Simvastatin cause joint pain or makes you tired?
Yes, sometimes Simvastatin may cause joint pain or make you tired.