Simvastatin is used in the treatment of increased cholesterol levels in blood, increased triglycerides levels in blood and increased ldl levels in blood.
How it works
Simvastatin blocks an enzyme (HMG-CoA-reductase) that is required in the body to make cholesterol. As a result, it lowers the level of cholesterol in the body.
Common side effects
Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Allergic reaction, Headache, Nausea, Dyspepsia, Nasopharyngitis, Increased liver enzymes, Increased creatine phosphokinase (CPK) level in blood, Diarrhoea, Flatulence, Constipation, Joint swelling, Increased glucose level in blood
- ₹78 to ₹300Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹62 to ₹155USV Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹97Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹54Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹99Akumentis Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹76Bal Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹173Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹74 to ₹99Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹64 to ₹124Aretaeus Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹69Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries3 variant(s)
- Take Simvastatin only as prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Simvastatin, it may worsen the adverse effects of this medicine on the liver.
- Notify your doctor if you experience unexplained muscle pain or weakness, which can lead to serious kidney problems.
- Do not take Niacin with Simvastatin. Niacin may increase Simvastatin's side effects on the muscles, which can lead to serious kidney problems.
- Notify the doctor that you are taking this medicine before undergoing any kind of surgery.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or are planning to become pregnant during the administration of this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is simvastatin a blood thinner or a beta blocker or steroid or diuretic or is it a statin or does simvastatin thin your blood?
No, simvastatin is a statin (lipid-lowering agents) or HMG CoA reductase inhibitors
Q. Is simvastatin the same as Lipitor (atorvastatin) or Crestor (rosuvastatin) or pravastatin?
No, although it belongs to same group of medications called statins
Q. Can I take simvastatin with ibuprofen or lisinopril?
No results found for any interaction of simvastatin with ibuprofen or lisinopril, but always consult with your doctor before taking this medication
Q. Can I take antibiotics or clarithromycin or amoxicillin or erythromycin or amlodipine or aspirin with simvastatin?
No, do not take antibiotics or clarithromycin or amoxicillin or erythromycin or amlodipine or aspirin with simvastatin, because they interact with each other
Q. Does simvastatin cause hair loss or dry mouth or hair loss or constipation or diabetes or depression or it makes you high?
No. Simvastatin does not cause hair loss or dry mouth or hair loss or constipation or diabetes or depression and it is not addictive
Q. Does simvastatin cause joint pain or makes you tired?
Yes, sometimes simvastatin may cause joint pain or make you tired.