Information about Silodosin
Silodosin is used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
How silodosin works
Silodosin is an alpha blocker. It works by relaxing muscle around the bladder exit and prostate gland so urine is passed more easily.
Common side effects of silodosin
Retrograde ejaculation, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Dizziness, Headache, Nasal congestion, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Silodosin
- ₹158 to ₹234Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹261 to ₹429Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹163 to ₹255Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹173 to ₹304Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹166 to ₹264Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹124 to ₹268Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹160 to ₹381Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹223Overseas Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹148 to ₹220Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹85 to ₹149Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Silodosin
- Silodosin helps in relieving the symptoms of enlarged prostate. It does not decrease the size of the prostate.
- Silodosin must be taken with food.
- You will feel better within hours or days of starting the treatment. Full effect is usually seen within 2 weeks.
- Silodosin may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- If you are scheduled to undergo an eye surgery due to cataract or glaucoma, inform your eye doctor about the usage of Silodosin.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Silodosin
Q. Apart from taking medicines, what can I do to manage my symptoms due to enlarged prostrate?
Simple lifestyle changes can help you manage your symptoms better. Try to urinate as soon as you feel the urge. However, take care not to strain or push to empty your bladder. Avoid drinking fluids (especially alcohol, caffeine) a few hours before going to bed or going out. Also, you should not take any other medicine without consulting your doctor because some medicines can increase your urge to urinate.
Q. How does silodosin work?
It blocks the alpha-1 receptors located in the muscles of human prostate, urinary bladder and urethra. It relieves the symptoms associated with benign prostatic hypertrophy by relaxing the muscles of the prostate gland and the bladder. Thereby, improving the urine flow and reducing the BPH symptoms.