Selenious acid is used to prevent selenium deficiency in patients receiving parental nutrition (a method of getting nutrition into the body through the veins) and to treat patients with selenium deficiency that cannot be cured by nutrition alone. It is also indicated for the treatment of asthma, arthritis, dandruff and infertility.
How it works
Selenious acid belongs to the class of medications known as nutritional supplements. It works by exerting antioxidant property which prevents oxidative damage of cells and hence reduces the risk of cancer. Its antioxidant property is also responsible for its use to treat infertility.
Common side effects
Hormone imbalance, Allergic reaction, Slow growth in children and teenagers
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- You will be regularly monitored for serum selenium levels while taking selenious acid.
- Do not take ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and selenium at the same as selenium cannot be used by the body as a nutritional source when both are mixed together.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to selenious acid or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if patients with previous episodes of selenium poisoning.