Information about Secnidazole
Secnidazole is used in the treatment of bacterial & parasitic infections. It is used in infections of the brain, reproductive system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, vagina, and other areas of the body.
How secnidazole works
Secnidazole is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria and other microorganisms that cause infections by damaging their DNA.
Common side effects of secnidazole
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Abdominal pain, Vaginal itching, Vaginal yeast infection
Available Medicine for Secnidazole
- ₹41Indica Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹26Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹37Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57Aigis Biotec1 variant(s)
- ₹148Winsome Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16Synmedic Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹32Therapeutic Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Secnidazole
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor, even if you feel better.
- It may cause side effects like nausea, stomach upset, and a metallic taste in the mouth.
- Secnidazole used in a high dose or for a prolonged time increases the risk of side effects such as nerve damage. Take it only as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not drink alcohol during or for 2-3 days after treatment with this medicine. You may develop nausea, vomiting, flushing and headache.
- Inform your doctor if you have liver disease. Your dose may need to be adjusted in severe liver disease.
- Secnidazole treats infections caused by bacteria and parasites.
- It may also be used to prevent infections following surgery.
Frequently asked questions for Secnidazole
Q. Can the use of Secnidazole cause metallic taste?
Yes, Secnidazole may cause a temporary metallic taste. This metallic taste can be reduced by staying hydrated, brushing teeth after the meals and chewing sugar-free gum or mints.
Q. Why it is harmful to drink alcohol while using Secnidazole?
Alcohol should be strictly avoided while taking Secnidazole and for at least 3 days after completely stopping the medicine. Drinking alcohol can cause an unpleasant reaction (Disulfuram reaction) with symptoms such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, flushing or redness of the face.
Q. Can I stop taking Secnidazole when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Secnidazole. Complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.