Information about Secnidazole
Secnidazole is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and parasitic infections. It is used in infections of the brain, reproductive system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, vagina, and other areas of the body.
How secnidazole works
Secnidazole is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria and other microorganisms that cause infections by damaging the DNA.
Common side effects of secnidazole
Nausea, Headache, Dryness in mouth, Metallic taste
Available Medicine for Secnidazole
- ₹59Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹41Indica Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹57Aigis Biotec1 variant(s)
- ₹32Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹81Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹38Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹39Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹32Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹148Winsome Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32Kopran Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Secnidazole
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- It may cause side effects like nausea, stomach upset, and a metallic taste in the mouth.
- If you are using Secnidazole in a high dose or for a prolonged time, there is a risk of more side effects, like nerve damage.
- You should not drink alcohol during or for 48 hours after treatment. You may develop nausea, vomiting, flushing and headache if you take it together.
- Inform your doctor if you have a liver disease. Your dose may need to be adjusted in severe liver disease.
Frequently asked questions for Secnidazole
Q. What does secnidazole treat/cure?
Secnidazole is used to treat intestinal amoebiasis (infection of the intestinal), hepatic amoebiasis (infection of the liver), urthritis (infection of the urethra) and vaginitis (infection of the vagina) caused by Trichomonas vaginalis and giardiasis (parasitic infections)
Q. How does secnidazole work?
Secnidazole is an antiinfective drug that belongs to a class of medicine called nitroimidazole. It works by inhibiting energy production of the disease/infection causing microorganism thereby killing them
Q. How long does secnidazole take to work?
It takes 3 hours for secnidazole to reach it's peak serum concentration. So, maximum time taken to work is around 3 hours
Q. Does secnidazole contain sulphur?
No, secnidazole does not contain sulphur.