Information about Rizatriptan
Rizatriptan is used in acute attack of migraine.
How rizatriptan works
Migraine headaches are thought to result from the dilatation of blood vessels in the head. Rizatriptan works by constricting (narrowing) these blood vessels, thereby relieving the migraine headaches.
Common side effects of rizatriptan
Neck pain, Sleepiness, Dry mouth, Dizziness, Sensation of heaviness, Nausea, Weakness, Jaw pain, Throat pain, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Warm sensation
Available Medicine for Rizatriptan
- ₹91 to ₹213Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹149 to ₹233Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹135Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹151 to ₹242Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹112 to ₹181Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹302 to ₹498Vanprom Lifesciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Rizatriptan
- To relieve migraine as soon as possible, take Rizatriptan as soon as the headache begins.
- Lying down in a quiet and dark room for a while after you use Rizatriptan may help to relieve the migraine.
- Take Rizatriptan only as prescribed by the doctor. Using too much Rizatriptan may increase the chances of side effects.
- Notify your doctor if your migraine headaches are occurring more often, than before you started using Rizatriptan.
- Notify your doctor if you have used Rizatriptan for at least three consecutive months.
- Avoid driving after taking as it may cause drowsiness and dizziness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Rizatriptan, it can cause new and worse headaches.
Frequently asked questions for Rizatriptan
Q. Is rizatriptan a narcotic/ blood thinner/ benzo/ pain killer/ controlled substance/ NSAID/ does it contain aspirin/ caffeine/ acetaminophen?
Rizatriptan belongs to the class of drugs called selective serotonin 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonists used for the treatment of acute migraine headaches. It is not a narcotic/ blood thinner/ benzo/ pain killer/ controlled substance/ NSAID. It does not contain aspirin/ caffeine/ acetaminophen
Q. Is Rizatriptan safe/does Rizatriptan get you high/ make you drowsy/ sleepy/ thin your blood/ cause rebound headaches?
Rizatriptan is safe if used as per the prescribing information. It does not make you high/cause rebound headaches or thin your blood. It can make you drowsy/sleepy.