Information about Rivaroxaban
Rivaroxaban is used for deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism and stroke prevention. It is used to prevent blood clots in the veins after knee or hip replacement surgery. It is also used to prevent stroke in patients who have atrial fibrillation.
How rivaroxaban works
Rivaroxaban is a novel oral anticoagulant (NOAC). It works by preventing the formation of blood clots in the body.
Common side effects of rivaroxaban
Bleeding, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Nausea
Available Medicine for Rivaroxaban
- ₹1015 to ₹4060Bayer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹2030Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Rivaroxaban
- Good medication for preventing blood clots.
- For best results, take Rivaroxaban at the same time every day. It is better to take at night with meals.
- Doesn't require regular blood tests (PT-INR).
- Interacts less with food or other medicines; hence doesn’t require frequent dose changes.
- Rivaroxaban increases your risk of bleeding. Be careful while shaving, cutting fingernails or toenails, using sharp objects or engaging in contact sports (e.g. football, wrestling).
- Notify your doctor if you see blood in your vomit, urine or stool (black, tarry stools or bright red blood).
- Notify your doctor if you have any kidney problem.
- If you are going to have a surgery or dental treatment, you may be asked to stop taking Rivaroxaban temporarily.
Frequently asked questions for Rivaroxaban
Q. Is Rivaroxaban safe/ an anticoagulant/ blood thinner/ is Rivaroxaban fda approved?
Rivaroxaban belongs to a class of medications called anticoagulants (blood thinner). It is approved by FDA and it used to prevent and treat blood clots in blood vessels
Q. Is rivaroxaban better than warfarin?
Rivaroxaban and warfarin belongs to same class of medicines (anticoagulants), but their effect may vary upon individual response. Always follow doctor’s advice regarding its use
Q. Does Rivaroxaban have an antidote/dialyzable?
Rivaroxaban does not have an antidote, and the drug cannot be flushed out of the system through dialysis. People who suffer bleeding can end up hospitalized, and the bleed may be fatal
Q. Can I take rivaroxaban with warfarin/ tramadol/ paracetamol/ aspirin?
Rivaroxaban should not be taken with the above medications. Always follow doctor’s advice regarding its use
Q. What painkillers can I take with Rivaroxaban?
Patients taking Rivaroxaban should avoid using pain killers as it increases the risk of bleeding
Q. Does Rivaroxaban cause weight gain/ hair loss/ diarrhea?
Rivaroxaban is not known to cause weight gain or hair loss, but it rarely causes diarrhea. Consult your doctor, if you experience such side effects.