Information about Risperidone
How risperidone works
Risperidone is an atypical antipsychotic. It works by affecting the levels of chemical messengers (dopamine and serotonin) to improve mood, thoughts and behavior.
Common side effects of risperidone
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Dryness in mouth, Weight gain, Constipation, Restlessness, Tremor, Muscle stiffness
Available Medicine for Risperidone
- ₹25 to ₹127Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹128Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹5100 to ₹9000Janssen Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹76Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹67Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹51Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹124Cipla Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹329Janssen Pharmaceuticals5 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹26Medo Pharma4 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹63Icon Life Sciences5 variant(s)
Expert advice for Risperidone
- Risperidone helps treat schizophrenia and mania.
- It may cause less weight gain, sedation, and heart problems as compared to other similar medicines.
- It may take 4-6 weeks to notice any medication effects. Keep taking it as prescribed.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Risperidone can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- It may cause increase in weight, blood sugar, cholesterol, and fat. Eat healthy, exercise, and monitor your levels regularly.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any abnormal movements or restlessness.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of heart diseases as Risperidone can increase your risk of irregular heartbeat.
- Do not stop taking Risperidone without talking to your doctor first as it may cause worsening of symptoms.
Frequently asked questions for Risperidone
Q. Is Risperidone good for anxiety?
Few studies suggest that low doses of Risperidone can be used for anxiety. However, do not take this medication without consulting your doctor. The doctor will suggest the exact dose by weighing the possible benefits and risks associated with this medicine. Take the medication as advised by the doctor and follow the instructions as provided.
Q. Can Risperidone cause psychosis?
Risperidone is used to treat conditions like psychosis and schizophrenia. The chances of developing medicine-induced psychosis are rare with Risperidone. However, in a few specific conditions, there are chances where Risperidone can worsen the psychiatric condition, although it is rare. Do consult your doctor if you do not see any improvement or worsening of symptoms.
Q. Can Risperidone cause weight gain?
Yes, Risperidone can cause significant weight gain. You should monitor your weight regularly and if there is significant weight gain then you should report your doctor immediately.