Information about Risperidone
How risperidone works
Risperidone is an atypical antipsychotic. It works by affecting the levels of chemical messengers (dopamine and serotonin) to improve mood, thoughts and behavior.
Common side effects of risperidone
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Dryness in mouth, Weight gain, Constipation, Restlessness, Tremor, Muscle rigidity
Available Medicine for Risperidone
- ₹25 to ₹127Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹128Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹5100 to ₹9000Janssen Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹76Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹67Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹47Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹124Cipla Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹329Janssen Pharmaceuticals5 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹26Medo Pharma4 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹63Icon Life Sciences5 variant(s)
Expert advice for Risperidone
- Risperidone helps treat schizophrenia and mania.
- It may cause less weight gain, sedation, and heart problems as compared to other similar medicines.
- It may take 4-6 weeks to notice any medication effects. Keep taking it as prescribed.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Risperidone can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- It may cause increase in weight, blood sugar, cholesterol, and fat. Eat healthy, exercise, and monitor your levels regularly.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any abnormal movements or restlessness.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of heart diseases as Risperidone can increase your risk of irregular heartbeat.
- Do not stop taking Risperidone without talking to your doctor first as it may cause worsening of symptoms.
Frequently asked questions for Risperidone
Q. Is Risperidone addictive/controlled substance?
No. Risperidone is neither addictive nor controlled substance
Q. Is Risperidone an antipsychotic/ sedative/SSRI/ neuroleptic?
Risperidone is an atypical antagonist which may show sedative effects. It has affinity towards serotonin. Few studies have shown that Risperidone induces neuroleptic malignant syndrome
Q. Is Risperidone used for anxiety?
No. Risperidone is not used for anxiety
Q. Is Risperidone a benzo?
No. Risperidone is not a benzo
Q. Is Risperidone the same as risperdal?
Yes. Risperdal is a brand name of drug Risperidone
Q. Can I take Risperidone with nyquil?
No. Taking Risperidone with Nyquil (dextromethorphan and doxylamine) may increase the side effects such as drowsiness, blurred vision, dry mouth, heat intolerance, flushing, decreased sweating, difficulty urinating, abdominal cramping, constipation, rapid heartbeats, confusion, and memory problems
Q. Can I take vicodin/tramadol/ ambien/diazepam with risperidone?
Using Vicodin (acetaminophen and hydrocodone), Ambien (zolpidem) or diazepam together with risperidone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Tramadol may increase the risk of seizures when given with risperidone
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/ trazodone/melatonin/ Tylenol with risperidone?
Yes. Taking ibuprofen/ trazodone/melatonin/ Tylenol (acetaminophen) with risperidone does not cause any harmful effects. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Does Risperidone cause depression/ weight loss/ high prolactin levels/ weight gain/ lower blood pressure/ make you high or drowsy/ help you sleep?
These side effects are commonly observed with Risperidone use. Stop taking Risperidone and consult your doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.