Information about Rifaximin
Rifaximin is used in infectious diarrhoea and hepatic encephalopathy.
How rifaximin works
Rifaximin is an antibiotic. In hepatic encephalopathy, it works by killing the ammonia-producing bacteria thereby relieving symptoms such as agitation, confusion, and muscle problems. In infectious diarrhea, it works by stopping the growth of bacteria that cause diarrhea.
Common side effects of rifaximin
Vomiting, Headache, Fever, Dizziness, Nausea, Chills
Available Medicine for Rifaximin
- ₹150 to ₹360Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹129 to ₹393Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹148 to ₹264Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹110 to ₹374Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹155 to ₹344Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹156 to ₹396Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹130 to ₹387Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹150 to ₹279Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹143 to ₹330Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹138 to ₹395Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Rifaximin
- Rifaximin reduces the risk of overt hepatic encephalopathy (HE) recurrence in patients with liver disease.
- It may cause reddish discoloration of urine. This is normal and harmless.
- Stop taking Rifaximin and inform your doctor if you have severe diarrhea during or after using Rifaximin.
- Finish the full course of the medication, even if you feel better.
Frequently asked questions for Rifaximin
Q. Does Rifaximin cause constipation?
Constipation is a rare side effect of Rifaximin. Please consult your doctor in case you experience intolerable constipation.
Q. Can I stop taking Rifaximin if I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Rifaximin before completing the full course of treatment. You will start to feel better before your treatment is complete.
Q. How long does Rifaximin takes to work?
Usually, Rifaximin starts to show its effect within 1 hour of its ingestion. However, it may take around 2-3 days to make you feel better while taking Rifaximin.