Information about Rifampicin + Isoniazid
Rifampicin + Isoniazid Uses
Rifampicin+Isoniazid is used in the treatment of tuberculosis.
How Rifampicin + Isoniazid works
Rifampicin + Isoniazid is a combination of two antibiotics: Rifampicin and Isoniazid, which treats tuberculosis (TB). Rifampicin works by inactivating a bacterial enzyme (RNA-polymerase) which is required by TB bacteria to make essential proteins and to reproduce. Isoniazid prevents these bacteria from forming their own protective covering. Together, they kill the bacteria and eradicate the infection.
Common side effects of Rifampicin + Isoniazid
Nausea, Vomiting, Rash, Fever, Dark colored urine, Peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness of feet and hand), Increased liver enzymes, Jaundice
Available Medicine for Rifampicin + Isoniazid
₹23 to ₹855 variant(s)
Macox PlusMacleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
₹15 to ₹744 variant(s)
Akt 2Lupin Ltd
MycocoxCadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹13 to ₹162 variant(s)
Vicox 2Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd
₹25 to ₹793 variant(s)
Akurit KidLupin Ltd
₹7 to ₹82 variant(s)
RF CompoundSunij Pharma Pvt Ltd
Exact 2Marc Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Scc 2Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹16 to ₹402 variant(s)
Expert advice for Rifampicin + Isoniazid
- You have been prescribed Rifampicin + Isoniazid for the treatment of tuberculosis.
- Finish the full course of the medication, even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back.
- Take it on an empty stomach, preferably at the same time everyday.
- It may discolour your urine, sweat, saliva and tears a reddish-orange colour. This is normal and not harmful.
- Your doctor may check your liver function before starting treatment and regularly thereafter. Inform your doctor if you notice yellowing of eyes or skin, dark urine, or stomach pain.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Rifampicin + Isoniazid as this may increase the risk of side effects on the liver.
- Use an alternative or additional contraceptive method (such as condoms or a diaphragm) to prevent pregnancy while you are taking Rifampicin + Isoniazid as it may make hormonal contraceptives such as the pill less effective.
- Do not take indigestion remedies (antacids) within at least two hours of taking Rifampicin + Isoniazid.