Information about Ribavirin
Ribavirin is used in the treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. It is used in combination with interferon.
How ribavirin works
Ribavirin is an antiviral medication. It prevents the multiplication of the virus in human cells. Thus stops the virus from producing new viruses.
Common side effects of ribavirin
Headache, Nausea, Loss of appetite, Impaired concentration, Abdominal pain, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Dizziness, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Ribavirin
- ₹95 to ₹313Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹120Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1175Fulford India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹750Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹1666Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹81Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹174Taj Pharma India Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ribavirin
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- Drink plenty of water while on treatment with Ribavirin. This helps to prevent kidney stone and kidney damage.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems. A dose of your medicine may need to be adjusted.
- You should not have sex if you have genital sores or blisters. If you're taking Ribavirin for herpes, you should use barrier methods (condoms) when you're having sex since you can still pass it on to other people, even if you're taking the medication.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Ribavirin
Q. How does Ribavirin work?
Ribavirin belongs to a class of antiviral medications called nucleoside analogues. It decreases the amount of Hepatitis C virus in the body by blocking its growth, resulting in less liver damage and improved liver function
Q. What are the severe side effects of Ribavirin?
Ribavirin may cause anemia that can worsen any heart problems and can cause a heart attack that can be life-threatening. Call your doctor immediately in case you experience excessive tiredness, pale skin, headache, dizziness, confusion, fast heartbeat, weakness, shortness of breath, or chest pain.