Information about Ranitidine
Ranitidine is used in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (acid reflux) and peptic ulcer disease.
How ranitidine works
Ranitidine is a histamine H2 receptor antagonist. It works by reducing the amount of acid production in the stomach which helps in relief of acid-related indigestion and heartburn.
Common side effects of ranitidine
Headache, Constipation, Diarrhea, Sleepiness, Tiredness
Available Medicine for Ranitidine
- ₹3 to ₹80Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹24Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹80J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹33Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹47Zydus Cadila5 variant(s)
- ₹3 to ₹20Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹63Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹79Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹62Ajanta Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹10Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ranitidine
- Take Ranitidine before going to bed if you are taking this medicine once a day as it is very effective in controlling stomach acid released in the midnight.
- If you are also taking other medications to treat acidity (e.g., antacid), take them 2 hours before or after taking Ranitidine.
- Avoid taking soft drinks, citrus fruits like orange and lemon, which can irritate the stomach and increase acid secretion.
- Inform your doctor if you do not feel better after taking Ranitidine for 2 weeks or 14 days as you may be suffering from some other problems.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney disease as dose of your medicine may need to be adjusted.
- Do not stop taking medication without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Ranitidine
Q. Can I take Ranitidine empty stomach?
Ranitidine may be taken with or without food. It can be taken once daily before bedtime or twice daily in the morning and before bedtime, as recommended.
Q. How long does it take for Ranitidine to start working?
Ranitidine starts working as fast as 15 minutes from when it is given. Its effect is seen to last all day or all night.
Q. What is the difference between Ranitidine and omeprazole?
Ranitidine and Omeprazole belong to different group of medicines. While Ranitidine belongs to histamine H2 antagonists group, Omeprazole belongs to proton pump inhibitors group. These medicines (Ranitidine and Omeprazole) work by reducing the amount of acid made by the stomach, to give relief of symptoms and allow healing to take place.
Q. Can I take alcohol with Ranitidine?
Alcohol does not interfere with the working of Ranitidine. But, you should avoid taking alcohol as it may further damage the stomach, delaying your recovery.
Q. What are the serious side effects of Ranitidine?
Ranitidine may have some serious side effects, but these are rare. These side effects may include hives, skin rash, itching, hoarseness and difficulty in breathing or swallowing. Another serious symptom may be swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs. Inform your doctor in case you notice any of the mentioned symptoms.
Q. What are the dos and don’ts while taking Ranitidine?
Avoid taking aspirin and other painkillers used to treat arthritis, period pain or headache. These medicines may irritate the stomach and make your condition worse. Contact your doctor who may suggest other medicines. Avoid coffee, tea, cocoa and cola drinks because these contain ingredients that may irritate your stomach. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Eat slowly and chew your food carefully. Try not to rush while having meals. You should stop or cut down on smoking.
Q. Is Ranitidine safe for long-term use?
There is limited data available on whether Ranitidine can be used for a long term or not, but it is a relatively safe medicine. You should take it for the duration advised by your doctor. Do not take over-the-counter Ranitidine for longer than 2 weeks unless advised by your doctor.
Q. Is Ranitidine effective?
Ranitidine would be effective only if used for the right indication in the dose and for the duration as advised by the doctor. In case you do not find any change in your condition while taking this medicine, please talk to your doctor. Do not change the dose or stop taking the medicine without consulting your doctor.