Information about Raltegravir
Raltegravir is used in the treatment of hiv infection.
How raltegravir works
Raltegravir prevents the multiplication of HIV virus in human cells. Thus stops the HIV virus from producing new viruses.
Common side effects of raltegravir
Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Fatigue, Headache, Nausea, Dizziness, Muscle pain, Diarrhoea, Increased liver enzymes.
Available Medicine for Raltegravir
- ₹9400Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10023MSD Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Raltegravir
- Do consult your doctor before taking raltegravir if you have phenylketonuria (a serious hereditary disorder), a medical history of depression or any psychiatric illness, severe liver disorders or muscle disorders (myopathy or rhabdomyolysis).
- Contact your doctor immediately if you notice stiffness, pain and difficulty in movement of joints or unexplained muscle pain, weakness and tenderness or notice signs of any infection such as fever while on treatment with raltegravir.
- Avoid taking antacids containing aluminum or magnesium within 2 hours before or 2 hours after you take raltegravir.
- Do not operate machines, drive or cycle if you feel dizzy after taking raltegravir.
- Raltegravir does not prevent the spread of HIV virus to others through blood or sexual contact. Take the required precautions to prevent transmission.
- Continue taking raltegravir even if you feel well, as skipping the medicine may worsen your condition and may lead to resistance to treatment.
- You must be aware that your body fat may increase or move to different areas of your body such as your breasts and upper back while on raltegravir therapy.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. You must receive proper treatment for HIV to avoid passing of the infection to your baby.
Frequently asked questions for Raltegravir
Q. Is raltegravir a protease inhibitor?
No. Raltegravir is an anti HIV drug. It does not have any known inhibitory effect on enzyme protease
Q. What is Raltegravir used for?
Raltegravir is used for the treatment for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection
Q. How does raltegravir work?
How does raltegravir inhibit HIV viral replication?Raltegravir works by inhibiting the action of an enzyme called integrase which is essential for the multiplication and survival of the virus (viral replication), thereby reducing HIV causing virus in the body.