Information about Racecadotril
Racecadotril is used in the treatment of diarrhoea. It is used, when fluid and dietary measures are not sufficiently effective to control diarrhoea.
How racecadotril works
Racecadotril has an anti-secretory effect. It reduces the secretion of water and electrolytes from the intestine. This helps to reduce the amount of fluid loss from the body in diarrhoea.
Common side effects of racecadotril
Available Medicine for Racecadotril
- ₹12 to ₹160Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹93Hetero Drugs Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹10Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹242Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹63Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹93FDC Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹120Salud Care India Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹146 to ₹164Ordain Health Care Global Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹57BestoChem Formulations India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹82Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Racecadotril
- Racecadotril should be used together with an oral rehydration solution (ORS) to provide adequate fluid and electrolyte replacement.
- Don't use Racecadotril, if you have blood and pus in the stools or fever. This may be due to bacterial infection and may need different treatment.
- Not recommended to be taken more than 7 days.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Don't use Racecadotril, if you have uncontrolled vomiting.
- Don't use Racecadotril in children less than 3 months.
- Not approved for adult and children above 13 years.
- Racecadotril sachet should be taken orally, directly or mixed with water. Make sure it is mixed well, and then give the total dose immediately to your child.
Frequently asked questions for Racecadotril
Q. Are any interactions of Racecadotril seen with other medicine?
No interactions with other medicine have been described in humans.
Q. How does Racecadotril work?
Racecadotril works by reducding the secretion of water and electrolytes from the intestine. This helps to reduce the amount of fluid loss from the body in diarrhoea.
Q. How does Racecadotril differ from loperamide?
Racecadotril does not affect motility as compared to Loperamide. It means less chance of developing rebound constipation.
Q. How long should Racecadotril be used?
Take Racecadotril only for a duration as advised by your doctor. It is also suggested to be taken until your child has two normal stools, not exceeding 7 days. Please consult your doctor for any further information.<br>
Q. Can Racecadotril be used in adults?
No, it should be used in children less than 13 years.
Q. Is Racecadotril a novel anti-diarrheal?
Racecadotril is a medicine which rapidly inhibits excessive intestinal secretion without causing constipation and without any central effect.
Q. Is Racecadotril is over the counter (OTC) medicine?
Racecadotril is not an over the counter medicine. It is a prescription medicine and is available only when prescribed by registered medical practitioner.
Q. Does Racecadotril reduce stool output?
Yes, it helps to reduce the stool output.
Q. Can Racecadotril be used alone?
It should always be used together with oral rehydration therapy (ORS).
Q. Is Racecadotril used for loose motion?
Yes. Racecadotril is used for the treatment of loose motion in children over three months of age. Don't use Racecadotril, if the child has fever, blood or pus in the stools.