Information about Quinidine
Quinidine is used in the treatment of arrhythmias.
How quinidine works
Quinidine treats irregular heartbeat by blocking abnormal electrical signals in the heart.
Common side effects of quinidine
Nausea, Vomiting, Ringing in ear, Abdominal pain, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Headache, Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar level), Dysphoria (state of generalized dissatisfaction with life), Diarrhoea, Visual disturbance, Deafness.
Available Medicine for QuinidineNo medicine available
Expert advice for Quinidine
- Consult your doctor if you have any of the following medical conditions: severe, uncontrolled abnormal heart rhythms, muscle weakness due to myasthenia gravis, unusual bruising while taking quinidine or similar medications.
- Do not drive or operate machinery, as quinidine may cause dizziness and blurred vision.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking quinidine, as it may worsen the side effects.
- Quinidine may cause increased sensitivity to the sun light. Avoid exposure to the sun and use sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Use quinidine with extreme caution in children.
- You may be monitored with lab tests to check for side effects while on quinidine therapy.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop any of the following severe side effects: Severe allergic reactions (rash; difficulty breathing; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; dizziness; deafness; ringing in ears; headache; dark urine; sudden change in heartbeat (fast/slow/more irregular); pale stools; jaundice.
- Inform your doctor or dentist that you are taking quinidine, if you are having surgery, including dental surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Quinidine
Q. Does quinidine cause thrombocytopenia?
Yes. Quinidine may cause thrombocytopenia. Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any symptoms of thrombocytopenia (easy/ excessive bruising, reddish-purple pinpoint-sized spots in skin, prolonged bleeding from cuts, bleeding from your gums or nose, blood in urine or stools)
Q. Does quinidine cause constipation?
Quinidine causing constipation is very rare. However, please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. How does quinidine treat malaria?
Quinidine interferes with malarial parasite's ability to digest hemoglobin and inhibits the spontaneous formation of betahematin (hemozoin or malaria pigment), which is a toxic product resulting from digestion of hemoglobin by parasites.