Information about Prochlorperazine
How prochlorperazine works
Prochlorperazine is a dopamine antagonist. It works by blocking the dopamine receptors in the region of brain that controls nausea and vomiting.
Common side effects of prochlorperazine
Drowsiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Prochlorperazine
- ₹15 to ₹72Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹53Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹40Unimarck Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹24Key West Medicines Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹8Leeford Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹44A N Pharmacia2 variant(s)
- ₹20Psychotropics India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹51Hema Laboratories2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Prochlorperazine
- Prochlorperazine is used for the prevention and treatment of nausea and vomiting.
- It may also be used to treat dizziness associated with problems of the inner ear such as Meniere’s Syndrome.
- It may cause sleepiness. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Prochlorperazine as it may cause excessive drowsiness.
- It makes you more likely to get heatstroke. Avoid heavy exercising and drink plenty of fluids.
- It can cause your skin to be more sensitive to sunlight. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight while having this medicine.
Frequently asked questions for Prochlorperazine
Q. How does Prochlorperazine work?
Prochlorperazine is used to treat mental disorders like schizophrenia. It is also used to treat and prevent nausea, and vomiting.It may be used to treat anxiety (short-term) in certain cases where other anti-anxiety drugs have been ineffective. It is also used to treat nausea, vomiting, dizziness or spinning sensations (vertigo) due to Meniere's disease.It belongs to a class of medication call phenothiazines. It acts on the central nervous system by blocking certain receptors thus producing an anti-psychotic and anti-vomiting effect
Q. Does Prochlorperazine expire?
Yes, Prochlorperazine does expire. Please check the expiry date written on the pack and it refers to the last day of that month. Do not use Prochlorperazine after the expiry date.
Q. Is Prochlorperazine available over the counter?
Prochlorperazine is not available over the counter. It is available only on prescription from the doctor
Q. Is Prochlorperazine safe to use?
Prochlorperazine is safe to use for a prescribed duration in the dose as advised by a doctor.
Q. How long can I take Prochlorperazine for?
Prochlorperazine should only be taken for the duration as advised by the doctor for your condition.
Q. Is Prochlorperazine addictive?
Prochlorperazine is not known to have any addictive potential. Please consult your doctor in case you have any other query regarding the same.