Information about Prochlorperazine
How prochlorperazine works
Prochlorperazine works by blocking dopamine receptor in the brain and gut which trigger nausea and vomiting. It works in schizophrenia at high dose by blocking dopamine in certain brain regions that affect thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of prochlorperazine
Drowsiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Prochlorperazine
- ₹13 to ₹60Abbott2 variant(s)
- ₹33Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹46Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹36Unimarck Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹43Hema Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹20Key West Medicines Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹41A N Pharmacia2 variant(s)
- ₹20Psychotropics India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹15RKG Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹65Thrift Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Prochlorperazine
- It should not be taken by patients who are allergic to prochlorperazine or any of the other ingredients of the tablet or syrup like sucrose.
- Consult your doctor before taking prochlorperazine If you are breast-feeding or pregnant.
- Do not drive or operate machines if you have just taken prochlorperazine as it may cause dizziness or tiredness.
- Do not get up from lying position immediately, as you may experience dizziness.
- Do not do strenuous exercise or go in sun or get exposed to extreme heat.
- Avoid taking alcohol.
- Do not handle the tablet any longer than required as it may cause irritation on the skin.
Frequently asked questions for Prochlorperazine
Q. How does Prochlorperazine work?
Prochlorperazine is used to treat mental disorders like schizophrenia. It is also used to treat and prevent nausea, and vomiting.It may be used to treat anxiety (short-term) in certain cases where other anti-anxiety drugs have been ineffective. It is also used to treat nausea, vomiting, dizziness or spinning sensations (vertigo) due to Meniere's disease.It belongs to a class of medication call phenothiazines. It acts on the central nervous system by blocking certain receptors thus producing an anti-psychotic and anti-vomiting effect
Q. Does Prochlorperazine expire?
Yes, Prochlorperazine does expire. Please check the expiry date written on the pack and it refers to the last day of that month. Do not use Prochlorperazine after the expiry date.
Q. Is Prochlorperazine available over the counter?
Prochlorperazine is not available over the counter. It is available only on prescription from the doctor
Q. Is Prochlorperazine safe to use?
Prochlorperazine is safe to use for a prescribed duration in the dose as advised by a doctor.
Q. How long can I take Prochlorperazine for?
Prochlorperazine should only be taken for the duration as advised by the doctor for your condition.
Q. Is Prochlorperazine addictive?
Prochlorperazine is not known to have any addictive potential. Please consult your doctor in case you have any other query regarding the same.