Information about Prochlorperazine
How prochlorperazine works
Prochlorperazine works by blocking dopamine receptor in the brain and gut which trigger nausea and vomiting. It works in schizophrenia at high dose by blocking dopamine in certain brain regions that affect thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of prochlorperazine
Drowsiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Prochlorperazine
- ₹13 to ₹60Abbott India Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹30Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹46Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹36Unimarck Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹43Hema Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹20Key West Medicines Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹41A N Pharmacia2 variant(s)
- ₹20Psychotropics India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹21 to ₹65Thrift Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹15RKG Pharma1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Prochlorperazine
- It should not be taken by patients who are allergic to prochlorperazine or any of the other ingredients of the tablet or syrup like sucrose.
- Consult your doctor before taking prochlorperazine If you are breast-feeding or pregnant.
- Do not drive or operate machines if you have just taken prochlorperazine as it may cause dizziness or tiredness.
- Do not get up from lying position immediately, as you may experience dizziness.
- Do not do strenuous exercise or go in sun or get exposed to extreme heat.
- Avoid taking alcohol.
- Do not handle the tablet any longer than required as it may cause irritation on the skin.
Frequently asked questions for Prochlorperazine
Q. How does prochlorperazine work?
Prochlorperazine is used to treat mental disorders like schizophrenia. It is also used to treat and prevent nausea, and vomiting.It may be used to treat anxiety (short-term) in certain cases where other anti-anxiety drugs have been ineffective. It is also used to treat nausea, vomiting, dizziness or spinning sensations (vertigo) due to Meniere's disease.It belongs to a class of medication call phenothiazines. It acts on the central nervous system by blocking certain receptors thus producing an anti-psychotic and anti-vomiting effect
Q. Does it expire?
It does expire and shouldn't be used beyond expiry date
Q. Is prochlorperazine available over the counter?
Prochlorperazine is not available over the counter. It is available only on prescription from the doctor
Q. Is prochlorperazine safe?
Prochlorperazine is safe
Q. How long can I take it?
Should be taken at the dose and duration prescribed by the doctor for your indication
Q. Is prochlorperazine addictive?
It is not addictive, but for certain patients it may be addictive and hence should be taken only under the supervision of a doctor
Q. Is prochlorperazine a narcotic/ steroid/narcotic/ controlled substance/ anti histamine/antibiotic/ penicillin?
Prochlorperazine is not a narcotic/steroid/ controlled substance/anti histamine/ antibiotic/penicillin
Q. Is it the same as Stemetil?
Stemetil is the brand name of prochlorperazine as a syrup
Q. Can I take prochlorperazine with Paracetamol/ Tramadol (pain killer)/ Citalopram (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor anti-depressant)/ Sertraline (anti-depressant)/Diazepam (benzodiazepine)/ Amytryptilline (tricyclic anti-depressant)/Ranitidine (treats stomach ulcers)/ Amoxicillin (antibiotic)/ Betahistine (anti-vertigo)/ Ibuprofen (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-NSAID)?
Prochlorperazine is known to interact with Citalopram (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor anti-depressant)/ Sertraline (anti-depressant)/Diazepam (benzodiazepine)/ Amytryptilline (tricyclic anti-depressant)/Ranitidine (treats stomach ulcers)/ Amoxicillin (antibiotic). It is not known to interact with Tramadol (pain-killer)/Paracetamol/ Ibuprofen (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-NSAID)/ Betahistine (anti-vertigo). Doctor's permission must be clearly sort for taking any other drug along with prochlorperazine
Q. Can prochlorperazine cause weight gain/get you high/cause constipation/sleepiness?
Prochlorperazine is known to have side effects like sleepiness or constipation but it is not known to cause weight gain or get you high
Q. Does it help in controlling anxiety or vomiting?
It is used to treat anxiety and vomiting problems.