Primaquine is used in the treatment of malaria
How it works
Primaquine is a weak base that reaches high concentration within the malarial parasite and causes accumulation of toxic heme pigment, which kills it.
Common side effects
Abdominal pain, Epigastric pain, Gastrointestinal discomfort, Vomiting, Nausea, Heartburn
- ₹14 to ₹32Ipca Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹59Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹32Themis Medicare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹62Leo Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹66Leo Pharmaceuticals3 variant(s)
- ₹49McW Healthcare1 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹60Unicure India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹55Bennet Pharmaceuticals Limited3 variant(s)
- ₹29Leo Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹35Unicure India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- You may undergo blood examinations particularly blood counts, hemoglobin determination during your treatment with primaquine.
- Inform your doctor if you are suffering from any of the following: heart disease, low potassium in the blood (hypokalemia) and/or low magnesium in the blood (hypomagnesemia).
- Do not take the given dose of primaquine for >14 days.
- Do not take along with drugs which are known to cause disordered electrical activity of heart (QT prolongation).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is primaquine a sulfa drug/does primaquine contain sulfa?
No. Primaquine is neither a sulfa drug nor contain sulfa
Q. Is primaquine safe?
Primaquine is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is primaquine a prodrug?
Derivatives of primaquine are available in prodrug form, after metabolism primaquine gets converted into carboxyprimaquine
Q. What is primaquine phosphate used for/ what does primaquine treat?
Primaquine is used to treat and prevent repeated occurrence of symptoms of malaria
Q. Why is primaquine given with clindamycin?
Primaquine and clindamycin are given together for the treatment of Pneumocystis pneumonia
Q. Why is primaquine given in falciparum malaria?
Primaquine is active against primary erythrocytic stage of malarial parasite called Plasmodium falciparum, so it is given in falciparum malaria
Q. Does primaquine treat chlamydia?
No. Primaquine is specifically used in the treatment of malaria and Pneumocystis pneumonia. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.