Information about Pregabalin
How pregabalin works
Pregabalin is an antiepileptic medication. It decreases pain and seizures by modulating calcium channel activity of the nerve cells.
Common side effects of pregabalin
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Impaired concentration, Blurred vision, Dryness in mouth, Weight gain, Edema (swelling), Difficulty in paying attention
Available Medicine for Pregabalin
- ₹884 to ₹1153Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹89 to ₹264Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹89 to ₹262Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹98 to ₹262Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹101 to ₹172Unichem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹140 to ₹252Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹150 to ₹240Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹77 to ₹217La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹124Icon Life Sciences3 variant(s)
- ₹130 to ₹231Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pregabalin
- Take it only as per the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor.
- It may cause sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- It may cause blurring or loss of vision. Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any vision changes.
- Inform your doctor if you develop any unusual changes in mood or behavior, new or worsening depression, or suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.
Frequently asked questions for Pregabalin
Q. What is Pregabalin and what is it used for?
Pregabalin belongs to anticonvulsants class of medicines. It is used to treat seizures. It is also helpful in treating nerve pain (neuropathic pain) which could be due to diabetes, shingles, or injury. It is also used in fibromyalgia (a long-lasting condition that may cause pain, muscle stiffness and tenderness, tiredness, and difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep).
Q. Pregabalin has varied roles, does it work in the same way for each disease?
No, Pregabalin works in different ways for different diseases. In epilepsy, it stops seizures by reducing the abnormal electrical activity in the brain. In nerve pain, it blocks pain messages travelling from brain to spine.
Q. I have been prescribed Pregabalin for pain due to shingles. When can I expect relief from pain?
For Pregabalin to work, the medicine requires time. It may require a few weeks to see full benefits. However, people have felt relief from pain after a week of starting Pregabalin.
Q. How long do I need to take Pregabalin?
Duration for the use of Pregabalin depends on the condition for which you are taking this medicine. If you are taking it for epilepsy, which if controlled by Pregabalin, you may have to continue it for years. If you are taking it for pain, it is likely that once your symptoms have gone you will have to continue taking it for several months to ensure stopping the problem from coming back.
Q. Is it necessary to continue taking Pregabalin even if I feel fine?
Even if you feel fine, you should not stop Pregabalin. If you are taking it for epilepsy and suddenly stop its consumption, you may have seizures that will not stop. If you are taking it for any other reason you may experience anxiety, difficulty in sleeping, feeling sick, pain, and sweating. These can be prevented if dose of Pregabalin is reduced gradually.
Q. Is Pregabalin addictive?
Addiction to Pregabalin is more common in people who take it for unauthorized reasons. Taking more than the recommended doses and taking it for long periods of time may also cause addiction. In addition to that, any person who has a history of drug abuse should never use Pregabalin. In case you feel you are becoming physically dependent on Pregabalin, inform your doctor immediately.
Q. Can I take diazepam and Pregabalin together?
Yes, Pregabalin and diazepam can be used together but there might be a chance of increased side effects, since both act on the brain to depress excessive activity.
Q. Can Pregabalin and gabapentin be taken together for fibromyalgia?
Yes, they can be used together but chances of side effects may be higher with their combined use.
Q. Can the use of Pregabalin cause weight gain?
Yes, Pregabalin may cause weight gain because it increases your hunger. Regular physical exercise and a balanced diet with low calorie food may help you keep your weight stable. Consult a dietician if you have any further concerns to keep your weight stable.