Information about Povidone Iodine
Povidone iodine uses
Povidone Iodine is used to prevent infections.
How povidone iodine works
Povidone Iodine is an antiseptic which treats infection in the affected area and relieves irritation.
Common side effects of povidone iodine
No common side effects seen
Available Medicine for Povidone Iodine
- ₹55 to ₹1055Win-Medicare Pvt Ltd21 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹576Wockhardt Ltd14 variant(s)
- ₹15Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹334Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹86Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹327Cipla Ltd11 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹574Kinedex Healthcare Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹101Notus Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹60Leben Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹200MidasCare Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Povidone Iodine
- Apply a small amount of povidone iodine solution to the affected area after cleaning it properly.
- The affected area can be left uncovered or covered with a sterile bandage.
- If you experience a skin rash, hives, or itching, or any other unusual reaction after using this product, discontinue use and contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- Povidone iodine cutaneous spray powder is meant for external application and should not be instilled in eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not use the povidone iodine solution on large parts of the body for more than a week unless advised by your doctor.
- Seek doctor’s advice before use if injuries are deep or puncture wounds or serious burns.
Frequently asked questions for Povidone Iodine
Q. Is povidone iodine the same as betadine?
Yes. Betadine is the brand (proprietary) name of povidone iodine
Q. Is povidone iodine the same as iodine or iodine tincture?
No. Povidone iodine is the stable chemical complex of povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone i.e. PVP) and elemental iodine. Iodine tincture has iodine and potassium iodide dissolved in ethanol and water. Both the formulations show antiseptic action
Q. Does povidone iodine kill yeast, bacteria or fungus?
Yes. Povidone iodine being disinfectant and antiseptic inhibits the growth and development of microorganisms
Q. Does povidone iodine burn, stain, sting or hurt?
Topical application of povidone iodine may cause slight irritation. Temporary staining of affected area is also possible. However, it is not a matter of concern and gets resolved quickly
Q. Is povidone iodine safe?
Povidone iodine is safe when used at prescribed dose and duration as directed by doctor
Q. Does povidone iodine contain alcohol?
No. Povidone iodine is stable chemical complex of povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone i.e. PVP) and elemental iodine
Q. Does povidone iodine stain teeth?
Povidone iodine should be used externally. It should not be used on teeth.