Information about Povidone Iodine
Povidone iodine uses
Povidone Iodine is used to prevent infections.
How povidone iodine works
Povidone Iodine is broad spectrum antiseptic for topical use. Povidone iodine liberates iodine in contact with the skin causing antiseptic action..
Common side effects of povidone iodine
Skin discolouration, Increased sodium level in blood, Renal impairment, Metabolic acidosis, Increased level of thyroid hormones, Decreased level of thyroid hormones in neonates, Deep tissue toxicity, Mucous membrane toxicity, Superficial keratitis
Available Medicine for Povidone Iodine
- ₹46 to ₹1005Win-Medicare Pvt Ltd16 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹576Wockhardt Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹78Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹298Cipla Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹18Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹281 to ₹341Wockhardt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23Appasamy Ocular Device Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹27Psychotropics India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹18Group Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹28Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Povidone Iodine
- Apply a small amount of povidone iodine solution to the affected area after cleaning it properly.
- The affected area can be left uncovered or covered with a sterile bandage.
- If you experience a skin rash, hives, or itching, or any other unusual reaction after using this product, discontinue use and contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- Povidone iodine cutaneous spray powder is meant for external application and should not be instilled in eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not use the povidone iodine solution on large parts of the body for more than a week unless advised by your doctor.
- Seek doctor’s advice before use if injuries are deep or puncture wounds or serious burns.
Frequently asked questions for Povidone Iodine
Q. Is povidone iodine the same as betadine?
Yes. Betadine is the brand (proprietary) name of povidone iodine
Q. Is povidone iodine the same as iodine or iodine tincture?
No. Povidone iodine is the stable chemical complex of povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone i.e. PVP) and elemental iodine. Iodine tincture has iodine and potassium iodide dissolved in ethanol and water. Both the formulations show antiseptic action
Q. Does povidone iodine kill yeast, bacteria or fungus?
Yes. Povidone iodine being disinfectant and antiseptic inhibits the growth and development of microorganisms
Q. Does povidone iodine burn, stain, sting or hurt?
Topical application of povidone iodine may cause slight irritation. Temporary staining of affected area is also possible. However, it is not a matter of concern and gets resolved quickly
Q. Is povidone iodine safe?
Povidone iodine is safe when used at prescribed dose and duration as directed by doctor
Q. Does povidone iodine contain alcohol?
No. Povidone iodine is stable chemical complex of povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone i.e. PVP) and elemental iodine
Q. Does povidone iodine stain teeth?
Povidone iodine should be used externally. It should not be used on teeth.