Information about Povidone Iodine
Povidone iodine uses
Povidone Iodine is used to prevent infections.
How povidone iodine works
Povidone Iodine is an antiseptic. It kills harmful infection causing microorganisms. This is how it works to prevent and treat infections.
Common side effects of povidone iodine
No common side effects seen
Available Medicine for Povidone Iodine
- ₹61 to ₹1160Win-Medicare Pvt Ltd21 variant(s)
- ₹38 to ₹576Wockhardt Ltd15 variant(s)
- ₹15Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34 to ₹334Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹95Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹327Cipla Ltd12 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹574Kinedex Healthcare Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹58 to ₹101Notus Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹66Leben Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹200MidasCare Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Povidone Iodine
- Povidone Iodine is an antiseptic that helps treat and prevent infections.
- Apply a small amount to the affected area after cleaning it properly.
- Avoid contact with eyes and nose. In case of accidental contact, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Do not use it on burnt, broken or inflamed skin.
Frequently asked questions for Povidone Iodine
Q. Is povidone iodine the same as betadine?
Yes. Betadine is the brand (proprietary) name of povidone iodine
Q. Is povidone iodine the same as iodine or iodine tincture?
No. Povidone iodine is the stable chemical complex of povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone i.e. PVP) and elemental iodine. Iodine tincture has iodine and potassium iodide dissolved in ethanol and water. Both the formulations show antiseptic action
Q. Does povidone iodine kill yeast, bacteria or fungus?
Yes. Povidone iodine being disinfectant and antiseptic inhibits the growth and development of microorganisms
Q. Does povidone iodine burn, stain, sting or hurt?
Topical application of povidone iodine may cause slight irritation. Temporary staining of affected area is also possible. However, it is not a matter of concern and gets resolved quickly
Q. Is povidone iodine safe?
Povidone iodine is safe when used at prescribed dose and duration as directed by doctor
Q. Does povidone iodine contain alcohol?
No. Povidone iodine is stable chemical complex of povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone i.e. PVP) and elemental iodine
Q. Does povidone iodine stain teeth?
Povidone iodine should be used externally. It should not be used on teeth.