Polycarbophil is used in the treatment of constipation
How it works
Polycarbophil absorbs water and makes the stool soft and bulky, easier to pass.
Common side effects
Bloating, Abdominal distension
- ₹57Ajanta Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹62Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Indchemie Health Specialities Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- Together with Polycarbophil, fiber rich diet containing whole grain bread and cereals, bran, fruits and green leafy vegetables, is essential to maintain healthy bowel function.
- Avoid taking a Polycarbophil for more than 1 week, unless prescribed by the doctor, as it leads to dependency on the laxative action to produce a bowel movement.
- Take Polycarbophil after 2 hours from other medicines, as it may interfere with the absorption of other medicines.
- A Polycarbophil should be preferably taken at bedtime because it requires 6 to 8 hours to show impact.
- Do not try to swallow Polycarbophil in the dry form. It should be taken with full glass of water or fruit juice.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is polycarbophil safe?
Polycarbophil is safe when used at prescribed dose and duration as recommended doctor
Q. Is calcium polycarbophil a soluble fiber?
Polycarbophil is insoluble in water.