Information about Pitavastatin
Pitavastatin is used in the treatment of increased cholesterol levels in blood, increased triglycerides levels in blood and increased ldl levels in blood.
How pitavastatin works
Pitavastatin blocks an enzyme (HMG-CoA-reductase) that is required in the body to make cholesterol. As a result, it lowers the level of cholesterol in the body.
Common side effects of pitavastatin
Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Allergic reaction, Headache, Nausea, Dyspepsia, Nasopharyngitis, Increased liver enzymes, Increased creatine phosphokinase (CPK) level in blood, Diarrhoea, Flatulence, Constipation, Joint swelling, Increased glucose level in blood.
Available Medicine for Pitavastatin
- ₹58 to ₹163Zydus Cadila4 variant(s)
- ₹90 to ₹154Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹200Novazen Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pitavastatin
- Take Pitavastatin only as prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Pitavastatin, it may worsen the adverse effects of this medicine on the liver.
- Notify your doctor if you experience unexplained muscle pain or weakness, which can lead to serious kidney problems.
- Do not take Niacin with Pitavastatin. Niacin may increase Pitavastatin's side effects on the muscles, which can lead to serious kidney problems.
- Notify the doctor that you are taking this medicine before undergoing any kind of surgery.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you are or are planning to become pregnant during the administration of this medicine.
Frequently asked questions for Pitavastatin
Q. Pitavastatin is superior to atorvastatin?
Pitavastatin and atorvastatin are different drugs belonging to the same class of HMG CoA reductase inhibitor (statins) and have the same mechanism of action. Their use in different conditions may vary depending upon individual response and therefore comparison between the two drugs cannot be drawn. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding their use.