Information about Pirfenidone
Pirfenidone is used in the treatment of Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
How pirfenidone works
Pirfenidone helps to reduce fibrosis (scarring) and swelling in the lungs.
Common side effects of pirfenidone
Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Rash, Dizziness, Fatigue, Abdominal pain, Joint pain, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Loss of appetite, Gastro-esophageal reflux disease, Diarrhoea, Weight loss, Upper respiratory tract infection, Dyspepsia, Sinus inflammation
Available Medicine for Pirfenidone
- ₹203Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹175Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹193Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹185Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹185Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pirfenidone
- Pirfenidone makes you more sensitive to sunlight (photosensitivity). Avoid the sun (including sunlamps) whilst taking pirfenidone. Wear sunblock daily and cover your arms, legs and head to reduce exposure to sunlight.
- Do not take pirfenidone if you are currently taking any other medicine such as tetracycline antibiotics, as they can make you more photo sensitive.
- Do not take pirfenidone if you are currently taking any other medicine such as fluvoxamine, it should be discontinued prior to the initiation of pirfenidone therapy and avoided during pirfenidone therapy.
- Avoid using pirfenidone if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning to get pregnant.
- Avoid smoking or use tobacco products.
- Stop smoking while on and before beginning pirfenidone, as it can reduce the effect of pirfenidone.
- Pirfenidone may cause dizziness and tiredness. If you feel tired or dizzy be caution while driving or operating machinery.
- Stop using pirfenidone and consult your doctor immediately if you experience a serious allergic (hypersensitivity) reaction characterized by swelling of the face, lips and/or tongue, difficulty breathing or wheezing; or skin reaction to sunlight or sunlamps such as blistering and/or marked peeling of the skin.
- Avoid using pirfenidone if you feel ill and unwell and have yellowing of the eyes or skin, with or without dark urine, accompanied by itching of the skin; or if you get signs of an infection such as a sore throat, fever, mouth ulcers or flu-like symptoms.
Frequently asked questions for Pirfenidone
Q. Is Pirfenidone approved by FDA?
Yes, Pirfenidone is approved by the FDA for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosi
Q. Is Pirfenidone a steroid?
No, Pirfenidone is not a steroid
Q. How much does Pirfenidone cost?
The price of Pirfenidone may vary depending upon the brand prescribed to you. Please read the instruction on the package for the correct price of the product.