Information about Piperacillin
Piperacillin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and serious bacterial infections.
How piperacillin works
Piperacillin is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria by attacking their cell wall. Specifically, it prevents the synthesis of a substance in the cell wall called peptidoglycan, which provides the cell wall with the strength required for survival of bacteria in human body.
Common side effects of piperacillin
Nausea, Allergic reaction, Vomiting, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Piperacillin
- ₹92 to ₹170FDC Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹498Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Piperacillin
- It is usually given by a doctor or a nurse as an injection directly into the vein or muscle.
- Tell the doctor if you have to provide a blood or urine sample for any test because piperacillin and tazobactam may cause false positive results.
- Do not start or continue the piperacillin/tazobactam and consult your doctor, If you have known allergy to penicillin, tazobactam or other beta-lactam antibiotics, If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Piperacillin
Q. Is piperacillin related to penicillin?
Yes, piperacillin is a semi-synthetic, extended spectrum penicillin
Q. Is piperacillin compatible with morphine?
Piperacillin is not reported to interact with morphine. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding their simultaneous use
Q. What is piperacillin tazobactam?
Piperacillin and tazobactam are used as combination therapy for bacterial infections. Tazobactam reduces the destruction of piperacillin from chemicals released from bacteria and extends their spectrum of activity
Q. What organisms does piperacillin cover?
Piperacillin is mainly effective against enterococcus, listeria, and serious gram-negative infections. It does not act against methicillin-resistant staphylococci
Q. Is piperacillin nephrotoxic?
Piperacillin may be nephrotoxic when taken along with vancomycin or when given to children with cancer or other impairments. Consult and inform your doctor about any medical problems you may have before taking piperacillin
Q. Is piperacillin safe?
Piperacillin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.