Information about Piperacillin
Piperacillin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and serious bacterial infections.
How piperacillin works
Piperacillin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming their own protective covering which is required for their survival in the human body.
Common side effects of piperacillin
Nausea, Allergic reaction, Vomiting, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Piperacillin
- ₹99United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹92 to ₹170FDC Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹294 to ₹499Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Piperacillin
- Make sure you complete the course even if you start to feel better.
- It is better to take with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Discontinue Piperacillin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Piperacillin
Q. Is piperacillin related to penicillin?
Yes, piperacillin is a semi-synthetic, extended spectrum penicillin
Q. Is piperacillin compatible with morphine?
Piperacillin is not reported to interact with morphine. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding their simultaneous use
Q. What is Piperacillin tazobactam?
Piperacillin and tazobactam are used as combination therapy for bacterial infections. Tazobactam reduces the destruction of Piperacillin from chemicals released from bacteria and extends their spectrum of activity
Q. What organisms does Piperacillin cover?
Piperacillin is mainly effective against enterococcus, listeria, and serious gram-negative infections. It does not act against methicillin-resistant staphylococci
Q. Is Piperacillin nephrotoxic?
Piperacillin may be nephrotoxic when taken along with vancomycin or when given to children with cancer or other impairments. Consult and inform your doctor about any medical problems you may have before taking Piperacillin
Q. Is Piperacillin safe?
Piperacillin is relatively safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.