Information about Pilocarpine
Pilocarpine is used in the treatment of dry mouth after radiotherapy of head and neck cancer.
How pilocarpine works
Pilocarpine works by increasing the secretion of saliva in the mouth.
Common side effects of pilocarpine
Headache, Sweating, Frequent urge to urinate, Flu-like symptoms.
Available Medicine for Pilocarpine
- ₹78Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19Entod Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Aurolab1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pilocarpine
- Inform your doctor if you have eye inflammation, suffer from asthma, liver, kidney or heart diseases, Parkinson’s disease, stomach ulcer, have problems in passing urine, high blood pressure, narrow angle glaucoma (increased eyeball pressure due to obstruction to the outflow of fluid).
- Drink sufficient water to reduce dehydration due to excessive sweating caused by pilocarpine.
- The back layer of your eye (fundus) may be examined before starting pilocarpine therapy.
- You may be regularly monitored for visual fields and intra-ocular pressure on long term therapy with pilocarpine for glaucoma.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as pilocarpine causes dizziness and blurring of vision especially in the night.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
Frequently asked questions for Pilocarpine
Q. Does pilocarpine increase or decrease heart rate?
Pilocarpine can decrease the heart rate. However, it does not increase the heart rate
Q. Does pilocarpine cause weight gain/increase blood pressure?
Pilocarpine increases blood pressure. However, no clinically relevant effect on weight has been reported with the use of pilocarpine
Q. Does pilocarpine help dry eyes?
Yes, pilocarpine helps dry eyes by increasing the production of tears
Q. Does pilocarpine work?
Pilocarpine acts by increasing the activity of chemical acetylcholine, thereby, increasing the secretion from various glands including salivary glands and tear glands. Due to its cholinergic effect, it also constricts the pupil of the eye and improves the outflow of aqueous humor (fluid in within the eye) contributing to reduction in eyeball pressure
Q. Does pilocarpine cause blurred vision/hair loss?
Yes, pilocarpine causes blurred vision. But it does not cause hair loss
Q. How does pilocarpine affect heart rate?
Pilocarpine decreases heart rate by increasing the effect of a chemical called as acetylcholine
Q. How does pilocarpine lower intraocular pressure?
Pilocarpine lowers intraocular pressure by constricting the ciliary muscle of the eyes, therefore increasing the outflow of fluid (aqueous humor) from posterior part of the eye.