Information about Phenolphthalein
Phenolphthalein is used in the treatment of constipation.
How phenolphthalein works
Phenolphthalein directly increases the motility of the intestine, thereby making the stool soft and easier to pass.
Common side effects of phenolphthalein
Available Medicine for Phenolphthalein
- ₹13Technopharm Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Phenolphthalein
- Together with Phenolphthalein, fiber rich diet containing whole grain bread and cereals, bran, fruits and green leafy vegetables, is essential to maintain healthy bowel function.
- Avoid taking a Phenolphthalein for more than 1 week, unless prescribed by the doctor, as it leads to dependency on the laxative action to produce a bowel movement.
- Take Phenolphthalein after 2 hours from other medicines, as it may interfere with the absorption of other medicines.
- Phenolphthalein should be preferably taken at bedtime because it requires 6 to 8 hours to show impact.
Frequently asked questions for Phenolphthalein
Q. Does phenolphthalein cause urine discoloration?
Phenolphthalein reacts with urine and causes discoloration of urine, but it is nothing to worry about it
Q. Does phenolphthalein cause cancer?
Phenolphthalein when used for longer duration, beyond recommended dose may cause cancer growth.