Information about Pentazocine
Pentazocine is used for pain.
How pentazocine works
Pentazocine decreases the perception of pain by blocking the transmission of pain signals to the brain.
Common side effects of pentazocine
Sweating, Headache, Dizziness, Sleepiness, Vomiting, Weakness, Dehydration, Lightheadedness, Nausea, Edema, Dry mouth, Fatigue, Anemia, Constipation
Available Medicine for Pentazocine
- ₹5 to ₹67Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹4Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
- ₹4Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹25Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4Laborate Pharmaceuticals India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32Unichem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹5Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pentazocine
Swallow the tablets with water, after mealsBefore you take Pentazocine, tell your doctor:
- If you have severe liver or kidney problems.
- If you have diseased adrenal glands such as addison’s disease.
- If you have inflammatory or obstructive bowel disease.
- If you have an enlarged prostate gland and have difficulty urinating and are male.
- If you have an underactive thyroid gland.
- If you recently had a heart attack.
- If you have suffered from drug abuse or dependence.
- if you have intolerance to some sugars.
- If you are taking or have recently taken any prescription or other OTC medicines, especially: monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs, e.g. moclobemide), phenothiazines (eg chlorpromazine), doxapram, ethyl alcohol.
Pentazocine tablets may cause sedation especially if taken with alcohol. Make sure you are not affected before you drive or operate machinery. Taking a pentazocine for headaches too often or for too long can make them worse.
Frequently asked questions for Pentazocine
Q. Is pentazocine a narcotic/ an opiate/ a controlled substance?
Pentazocine is a narcotic opioid analgesic. It is a controlled substance
Q. Is pentazocine naloxone an opiate/ a narcotic?
Pentazocine naloxone contains 2 medications, pentazocine and naloxone. Pentazocine is a narcotic pain reliever (opiate-type). Naloxone counteracts the effect of opiate active ingredient in it and helps to prevent misuse of this product
Q. Is pentazocine like/ stronger than hydrocodone?
Pentazocine and hydrocodone belong to same category of drugs and are equally effective and safe in treatment of moderate to severe pain, Always follow doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Does pentazocine have codeine in it?
No, it doesn't contain codeine. It is a narcotic opioid analgesic
Q. How long does pentazocine stay in system?
Pentazocine is absorbed from the gastro-intestinal tract; following administration by mouth, peak plasma concentrations are reached in 1-3 hours and the half-life is reported to be 2-3 hours, but it can be detected in urine from 1-3 days.