Paroxetine is used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorder, phobia, post traumatic stress disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
How it works
Paroxetine works by increasing the levels of serotonin, a chemical messenger in the brain. This improves mood and physical symptoms in depression and relieves symptoms of panic and obsessive disorders.
Common side effects
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Headache, Fatigue
- ₹121 to ₹290Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹112 to ₹212Ipca Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹115 to ₹225Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹124 to ₹166Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹137 to ₹254Zydus Cadila4 variant(s)
- ₹125 to ₹205Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹110 to ₹220Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹122 to ₹269Zydus Cadila4 variant(s)
- ₹109 to ₹181Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹115 to ₹141Talent India2 variant(s)
- It can take 2-3 weeks for Paroxetine to start working.
- Do not stop treatment suddenly as this may cause a stomach upset, flu-like withdrawal symptoms and sleep disturbance.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Paroxetine, as it may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness.
- If your doctor asks you to stop Paroxetine, you should reduce the dose slowly over 4 weeks.
- The addiction/dependence potential of Paroxetine is very less.
- You may develop anxiety during initiation of therapy.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is paroxetine available or sold over the counter?
No. Paroxetine is a prescription drug. It is not available or sold over the counter
Q. Is paroxetine safe?
Yes. Paroxetine is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, consult your doctor
Q. Is Paroxetine a narcotic/controlled/addictive substance?
No. Paroxetine is not a narcotic/controlled substance. However, it can cause addiction in some cases because of its effects on the brain
Q. Is paroxetine the same as Xanax?
No. Paroxetine is an anti-depressant while Xanax (alprazolam) is a sedative/anti-epileptic drug
Q. Is paroxetine a MAOI/benzodiazepine/anti-depressant?
Paroxetine is not a MAOI (mono-amino oxidase inhibitor) or a benzodiazepine. It is an anti-depressant
Q. Does paroxetine cause headache, weight loss, memory loss, hair loss, high blood pressure?
Yes. Paroxetine may cause headache, weight loss, memory loss, hair loss or high blood pressure. If you experience any such symptoms, please consult your doctor.