Parecoxib is used in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout, arthralgia, myalgia, pain during menstruation and post operative pain.
How it works
Parecoxib blocks the release of certain chemical messengers that are responsible for pain and inflammation (redness and swelling).
Common side effects
Abdominal pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Headache, Edema, Heartburn, Gastritis, Increased blood pressure, Dizziness, Palpitations, Constipation, Flatulence, Dyspepsia, Diarrhoea
- ₹65Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹65Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹66Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹66Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹66Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹66Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹65Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- Parecoxib can make you dizzy, it is advised not to drive or use heavy machinery until you feel better.
- Do not take parecoxib and consult your doctor if you have any of the following medical condition: bleeding, ulcer or perforation of gastrointestinal tract, diabetes, angina (chest pain), blood clots, fever, raised cholesterol, high blood pressure, fluid retention (edema), liver or kidney disease.
- Avoid smoking while on parecoxib treatment.
- Do not start parecoxib and consult your doctor if you are dehydrated or unable to drink fluids, are planning to become pregnant or are ?6 months pregnant.
- Stop taking parecoxib if you suffer from rash or ulceration in any part of body or suffer from allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, skin rash, swelling of tongue, face or lips which may lead to wheezing), blistering or peeling of skin, jaundice, or if you have signs of stomach or intestinal bleeding (vomiting blood or passing a black or blood stained stool).
Frequently asked questions
Q. What is parecoxib used for?
Parecoxib is used in adults for short term treatment of pain after surgery
Q. How does parecoxib work?
Parecoxib belongs to class of medications called cyclo-oxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitors. It works by inhibiting the enzyme COX-2 that reduces the formation of chemicals called prostaglandins in the body, thereby reducing pain and inflammation.