Para aminosalicylic acid
Para-aminosalicylic acid is used in combination with other medicines to treat multi-drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB; hen other medications for tuberculosis are not effective due to resistance or intolerance).
How it works
Para-aminosalicylic acid belongs to the class of medications called as antituberculosis agents. It stops multiplication of the tuberculosis causing bacteria (Mycobacterium tuberculosis) by interfering with the synthesis of a substance (folic acid) essential for reproduction thereby preventing the infection.
Common side effects
Hormone imbalance, Allergic reaction, Slow growth in children and teenagers, Diarrhoea, Abdominal pain, Dizziness, Vomiting, Constipation
- Tell your doctor if you have liver problems, kidney problems, ulcers of the stomach or intestine, problems related to poor absorption of nutrients or any viral infection (e.g. Flu, chickenpox).
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience skin rash, fever, persistent nausea or vomiting, or abdominal pain within 3 months of para-aminosalicylic acid treatment.
- Do not take if allergic to para-aminosalicylic acid or any of its ingredients.
- Do not give to Children if suffering with a viral infection (such as flu or chickenpox).
- Do not take if suffering with severe kidney disease.