Information about Pantoprazole
Pantoprazole is used in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (acid reflux) and peptic ulcer disease.
How pantoprazole works
Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It works by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach which in turn relieves acid-related indigestion and heartburn.
Common side effects of pantoprazole
Nausea, Headache, Flatulence, Diarrhea, Stomach pain, Vomiting
Available Medicine for Pantoprazole
- ₹45 to ₹138Alkem Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹152Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹120Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹164Zydus Cadila5 variant(s)
- ₹48 to ₹178Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹92Hetero Drugs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹43Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹48Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹46Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹44Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pantoprazole
- Take it one hour before the meal, preferably in the morning.
- It is a well-tolerated medicine and provides relief for a long time.
- Some healthy tips to prevent acidity from happening:
Avoid taking hot tea, coffee, spicy food, and chocolate. Instead, have cold milk and cold coffee as these help neutralize the acid in the stomach.
Avoid alcohol and smoking.
Avoid eating late at night or before bedtime.
- Inform your doctor if you get watery diarrhea, fever or stomach pain that does not go away.
- Inform your doctor if you do not feel better after taking it for 14 days as you may be suffering from some other problem that needs attention.
- Long-term use can cause weak bones and deficiency of minerals such as magnesium. Take adequate dietary intake of calcium and magnesium or their supplements as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not stop taking medication without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Pantoprazole
Q. What is Pantoprazole used for?
Pantoprazole is used for the treatment of stomach and intestinal ulcers (gastric and duodenal ulcers), reflux esophagitis or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and ZE syndrome. It works by reducing the amount of acid made by your stomach.
Q. What are the long term side effects of Pantoprazole?
Long-term use of Pantoprazole for more than 3 months may decrease the levels of magnesium in your blood. This can make you feel tired, confused, and dizzy. It may also cause muscle twitches, shakiness, and an irregular heartbeat. Inform your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms. In addition, if Pantoprazole is used for more than a year, you may have increased chances of certain side effects such as bone fractures, gut infections, and vitamin B12 deficiency. With vitamin B12 deficiency you may develop symptoms such as feeling very tired, sore and red tongue, mouth ulcers, and pins and needles.
Q. Does Pantoprazole cause weight gain?
Although rare but long-term treatment with Pantoprazole may cause weight gain. The reason could be the relief from reflux symptoms which could make you eat more. Consult your doctor for any weight-related concern.