Information about Pantoprazole
Pantoprazole is used in the treatment of acidity, peptic ulcer disease and gastroesophageal reflux disease (acid reflux).
How pantoprazole works
Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It works by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach which helps in relief of acid related indigestion and heartburn.
Common side effects of pantoprazole
Nausea, Headache, Flatulence, Diarrhoea, Stomach pain, Vomiting
Available Medicine for Pantoprazole
- ₹45 to ₹138Alkem Laboratories Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹149Zydus Cadila4 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹138Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹120Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹178Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹92Hetero Drugs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹43Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹32Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹46Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹44Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pantoprazole
- You have been prescribed Pantoprazole to reduce stomach acid and heal stomach ulcers.
- Take it one hour before the meal, preferably in the morning.
- It is a well-tolerated medicine and provides relief for a long time.
- Inform your doctor if you get watery diarrhea, fever, or stomach pain that does not go away.
- Inform your doctor if you do not feel better after taking it for 14 days as you may be suffering from some other problem that needs attention.
- Long-term use can cause weak bones and deficiency of minerals such as magnesium. Take adequate dietary intake of calcium and magnesium or their supplements as prescribed by your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Pantoprazole
Q. What is Pantoprazole used for?
Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) which is used for the treatment of conditions like heartburn, acid regurgitation, and stomach ulcers.
Q. Is Pantoprazole safe?
Pantoprazole is relatively safe if taken in prescribed dose for prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Pantoprazole a proton pump inhibitor (PPI)?
Yes, Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) which inhibits the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
Q. Can I take Pantoprazole forever?
No, Pantoprazole should be used for the duration advised by your doctor.
Q. Can I take Pantoprazole with antibiotics?
Various studies comparing the use of Pantoprazole while the patients were also taking different antibiotics revealed no clinically relevant interactions. However, always consult your doctor before taking Pantoprazole along with antibiotics.
Q. Can I take Pantoprazole with other medications?
Pantoprazole can generally be taken safely with other drugs. But there are certain medications like anti-HIV drugs and anticoagulants which can have interaction with Pantoprazole and thus should not be combined or should be closely monitored when given together. Please consult your doctor if you need to take Pantoprazole with other medications.
Q. Can I take Pantoprazole with ciprofloxacin?
There are no interactions reported between Pantoprazole and ciprofloxacin. However, this does not mean interactions cannot occur. Please consult your doctor before taking the two medicines together.
Q. Does Pantoprazole cause hair loss?
Hair loss has not been reported with the use of Pantoprazole. If you experience excessive hair loss while taking Pantoprazole, please consult your doctor.
Q. Does Pantoprazole cause constipation?
Both diarrhea and constipation have been reported as a common side effects of Pantoprazole in children and in adults. Consult your doctor if you experience intolerable side effects while taking Pantoprazole.
Q. Does Pantoprazole cause weight gain?
Change in weight has been associated with Pantoprazole. Consult your doctor if you have weight gain or weight loss during Pantoprazole use.
Q. Does Pantoprazole cause dry mouth?
Dry mouth has been reported as a side effect with Pantoprazole. Kindly consult your doctor if you have this problem while taking Pantoprazole.
Q. Does Pantoprazole cause gas?
Flatulence (gas), abdominal distension, and bloating (fullness) have been associated with Pantoprazole use. Consult your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms.