Information about Pamidronate
Pamidronate is used in the treatment of osteoporosis.
How pamidronate works
Pamidronate inhibits the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause loss of bone.
Common side effects of pamidronate
Headache, Abdominal distension, Acid reflux, Abdominal pain, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Difficulty in swallowing, Dyspepsia, Flatulence, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Esophageal ulcer
Available Medicine for Pamidronate
- ₹1168 to ₹3438United Biotech Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1830 to ₹3000Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1800 to ₹3265Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Pamidronate
- Consult your doctor if you have any of the following medical conditions: heart problems, liver/kidney/thyroid disorders; low levels of platelets and red blood cells; calcium or vitamin D deficiency; teeth or jaw problems or flu like conditions.
- Consult your doctor if you are taking medicines such as calcitonin, thalidomide, other bisphosphonate drugs, or medicines used to treat kidney problems.
- Keep yourself hydrated while being treated with pamidronate.
- Be careful with your dental hygiene; avoid dental extraction or other invasive dental procedures while on pamidronate therapy.
- Pamidronate may cause bone loss in the jaw (osteonecrosis of the jaw leading to jaw pain, swelling, numbness, loose teeth, gum infection, or slow healing after injury or surgery involving the gums). Stop using the medicine if you develop any such reaction.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery as you can feel dizzy after taking this drug.
Frequently asked questions for Pamidronate
Q. How does pamidronate work?
Pamidronate works by decreasing the level of calcium released into the blood by bones, thereby preventing calcium excess in the body
Q. Is pamidronate safe?
Yes. Pamidronate is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor. In case of any side-effects, please consult your doctor.