Information about Oxytetracycline
Oxytetracycline is used in the treatment of Bacterial infections.
How oxytetracycline works
Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, which are required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of oxytetracycline
Rash, Nausea, Photosensitivity, Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Haemolytic anemia, Diarrhoea, Urticaria
Available Medicine for Oxytetracycline
- ₹8 to ₹22Pfizer Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹8Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹83Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹10Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹67Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹41Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹135 to ₹181Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Oxytetracycline
- Always take oxytetracycline 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals as food and some dairy products may interfere with drug absorption.
- If you are taking oxytetracycline for long-term, you may need periodic laboratory evaluation of organ systems such as blood tests, kidney and liver function tests.
- Exercise caution if you are an elderly patient or have renal or hepatic impairment, myasthenia gravis (abnormal, progressive weakness of muscles), and systemic lupus erythematosus (auto immune disease in which immune system attacks its own organs)
Frequently asked questions for Oxytetracycline
Q. Is oxytetracycline is same as tetracycline?
No, both the drugs are different
Q. Can I take oxytetracycline for cystitis/tonsillitis/gum infection?
Oxytetracycline can be taken for cystitis and gum infection but not in case of tonsillitis. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Does oxytetracycline cause weight gain?
No, it doesn't cause weight gain. However, consult your doctor if you experience such side effect
Q. Does oxytetracycline affect the contraceptive implant?
No, oxytetracycline doesn't affect contraceptive implants.