Information about Oxcarbazepine
Oxcarbazepine is used in the treatment of Epilepsy/Seizures.
How oxcarbazepine works
Oxcarbazepine is an antiepileptic medication. It controls seizures or fits by decreasing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of oxcarbazepine
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Double vision, Fatigue, Dizziness, Coordination impaired, Nystagmus (involuntary eye movement), Tremor, Abnormal vision, Altered walking, Sleepiness
Available Medicine for Oxcarbazepine
- ₹33 to ₹195Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹61 to ₹306Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd12 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹333Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd9 variant(s)
- ₹88 to ₹310Sanofi India Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹300Novartis India Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹59 to ₹285Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹204Abbott10 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹117Lupin Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹201Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹186Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Oxcarbazepine
- Take your medication regularly as directed by your doctor as missing doses can trigger seizures.
- Do not change the brand of your medicine and make sure that you have sufficient amount of medicine present with you.
- Some healthy tips to prevent seizures:
- Practice yoga every day.
- Get enough sleep at nighttime.
- Limit the use of screen time such as mobile/ laptop.
- Take your medication on time.
- It may cause dizziness and sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- It may increase the risk of low sodium levels in the blood. Inform your doctor if you develop difficulty concentrating, memory problems, confusion, weakness, and unsteadiness.
- Talk to your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or develop suicidal thoughts.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.
Frequently asked questions for Oxcarbazepine
Q. Does Oxcarbazepine cause hair loss?
Hair loss is a common side effect of Oxcarbazepine but does not affect everyone. If there is substantial hair loss, consult your doctor.
Q. Does the use of Oxcarbazepine affect weight?
Yes, Oxcarbazepine affects weight and may cause weight gain. Additionally, in some cases, weight loss has also been reported. Consult a dietician and follow a diet plan to maintain your weight.
Q. Does Oxcarbazepine cause memory loss?
Yes, memory loss is a common side effect of Oxcarbazepine, but it does not occur in everyone.
Q. When and how should I take Oxcarbazepine?
Take it exactly as directed by your doctor. It is recommended that you take it twice every day, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Taking your medicine at the same time each day will have the best effect. It will also help you remember when to take it. Oxcarbazepine can be taken with or without food.
Q. Who should not take Oxcarbazepine?
You should not take Oxcarbazepine if you are allergic to Oxcarbazepine, eslicarbazepine or to any of its components. It should also be avoided by pregnant women and women taking birth control pills. Also, people having severe liver or kidney disease and people with a psychiatric disorder should avoid taking Oxcarbazepine.
Q. What are the advantages of Oxcarbazepine over carbamazepine?
Oxcarbazepine has fewer side effects as compared to carbamazepine. Moreover, Oxcarbazepine can be started with clinically effective dose as against carbamazepine which requires frequent visits to the doctor before an effective dose can be decided based on the patient’s response.
Q. How can I watch for early symptoms of suicidal thoughts and actions?
You should pay attention to any changes, especially sudden changes in mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings. Be aware of common warning signs that might be a signal for risk of suicide. Some of these include talking or thinking about hurting yourself or ending your life, withdrawing from friends and family, becoming depressed or worsening of your depression, or becoming preoccupied with death and dying. Never miss an appointment with your doctor and stay connected with the doctor even between visits.
Q. For how long do I need to take Oxcarbazepine. Can I stop taking it on my own?
You should take your medicine for the time and duration prescribed by your doctor. Oxcarbazepine helps to control your epilepsy but does not cure it. You must take this medicine every day, even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Oxcarbazepine or lower the dose yourself. Stopping your medicine suddenly or lowering the dose may cause seizures. Consult your doctor who will reduce the dose gradually before stopping it completely.