Information about Oxazepam
Oxazepam is used in the treatment of short term anxiety and alcohol withdrawal.
How oxazepam works
Oxazepam is a benzodiazepine. It works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of oxazepam
Sleepiness, Slurred speech, Uncoordinated body movements, Memory impairment, Irritability, Headache, Dry mouth, Fatigue, Constipation, Dizziness, Depression
Available Medicine for Oxazepam
- ₹78 to ₹168Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹61Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹13Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹50Talin Remedies1 variant(s)
- ₹77Bondane Pharma1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Oxazepam
- If you are taking Oxazepam for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety, it should not be used more than 4 weeks.
- It may become less effective over the time.
- It causes sleepiness or drowsiness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Oxazepam, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- The addiction / habit-forming potential of Oxazepam is very high.
Frequently asked questions for Oxazepam
Q. Is Oxazepam a benzodiazepine or a narcotic?
Oxazepam belongs to benzodiazepine group of medicines and it is not a narcotic
Q. Is Oxazepam addictive?
Yes, Oxazepam is addictive. If used more than 4 weeks without a break, there is a risk of becomingdependent or of having problems when you stop taking
Q. Is oxazepam a metabolite of diazepam/clonazepam?
Yes, oxazepam is a metabolite of diazepam but not of clonazepam
Q. Can I take oxazepam with mirtazapine/ Zoloft/ tramadol/ diazepam/ antibiotics?
Oxazepam may interact with these medications. Kindly follow doctors instructions
Q. Is Oxazepam the same as valium/Xanax?
Oxazepam and valium/Xanax, all belong to same class of medicines called benzodiazepines, and have similar effect on brain. However, consult your doctor for specific indications of each medicine
Q. Does Oxazepam lower blood pressure/ cause weight loss or weight gain / make you sleepy/ get you high/ cause diarrhea?
Oxazepam may cause these side effects. Call your doctor if you experience any unusual problems during your treatment with Oxazepam.