Information about Ornidazole
Ornidazole is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and parasitic infections. It is used in infections of the brain, reproductive system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, vagina, and other areas of the body.
How ornidazole works
Ornidazole is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria and other microorganisms that cause infections by damaging their DNA.
Common side effects of ornidazole
Nausea, Headache, Dryness in mouth, Metallic taste
Available Medicine for Ornidazole
- ₹115Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹50Deys Medical1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹93Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹75Panacea Biotec Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹61Obsurge Biotech Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹46J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹80Aigis Biotec1 variant(s)
- ₹83Stadmed Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75Delvin Formulations Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹34Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ornidazole
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor even if you feel better.
- It may cause side effects like nausea, stomach upset, and a metallic taste in the mouth.
- If you are using Ornidazole in a high dose or for a prolonged time, there is a risk of more side effects, like nerve damage.
- You should not drink alcohol during or for 48 hours after treatment. You may develop nausea, vomiting, flushing and headache if you take it together.
- Inform your doctor if you have a liver disease. Your dose may need to be adjusted in severe liver disease.
Frequently asked questions for Ornidazole
Q. Is Ornidazole an antibiotic?
Yes, Ornidazole is an antibiotic and is a nitroimidazole derivative. It is active against anaerobic organisms and microbes like giardia, entamoeba, and trichomonas. Consult your doctor before taking any antibiotics for your infections.
Q. What does Ornidazole treat?
Ornidazole is used for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis (nonspecific vaginal infection), trichomoniasis, amoebiasis, giardiasis, and infections due to anaerobic bacteria. Consult your doctor before taking any antibiotics for your infections.
Q. Is Ornidazole safe in lactation?
It is not known whether Ornidazole passes into the human milk or not. It is advisable that you should not take Ornidazole if you are breastfeeding or breastfeeding should be stopped. Consult your doctor before taking the drug if you are breastfeeding.
Q. Is Ornidazole safe in pregnancy?
There are no studies on the safety of Ornidazole when used in pregnancy. So, it is advisable that the drug should not be used during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary. Consult your doctor prior to taking the drug if you are pregnant.
Q. Are ornidazole and metronidazole the same?
Both ornidazole and metronidazole belong to the same class of drugs and are nitroimidazole derivatives. They have a similar mechanism of action and are active against similar microbes. However, ornidazole has a longer half-life, so it is given once a day and also has lesser side effects compared to metronidazole. Talk to your doctor before taking any antibiotics.
Q. Is Ornidazole carcinogenic?
Ornidazole has not shown to cause any carcinogenic effect in humans. Talk to your doctor in case you have any further concerns regarding the same.
Q. Is Ornidazole safe?
Ornidazole is a safe medicine if taken in the dose for a duration as advised by the doctor.
Q. How long does Ornidazole take to work?
After oral administration, Ornidazole is rapidly absorbed and takes less than three hours to reach peak concentrations in the blood. It is well distributed in the tissues.