Information about Ornidazole
Ornidazole is used in the treatment of bacterial infections and parasitic infections. It is used in infections of the brain, reproductive system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, vagina, and other areas of the body.
How ornidazole works
Ornidazole is an antibiotic. It kills the bacteria and other microorganisms that cause infections by damaging their DNA.
Common side effects of ornidazole
Sleepiness, Tiredness, Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Dizziness, Vertigo, Tremor, Skin reaction, Numbness of extremity
Available Medicine for Ornidazole
- ₹127Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹66Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹52Deys Medical1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹112Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹75Group Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹51J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹83Stadmed Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹61Obsurge Biotech Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹80Aigis Biotec1 variant(s)
- ₹55Ramose Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ornidazole
- Ornidazole treats infections caused by bacteria and protozoa.
- It may also be used to prevent infections following surgery.
- Always take the complete course of treatment, as advised by your doctor, even if you feel better.
- It may cause side effects like nausea, stomach upset, and a metallic taste in the mouth.
- Ornidazole use in a high dose or for a prolonged time increses risk of side effects such as nerve damage. Take it only as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not drink alcohol during or for 3 days after treatment with this medicine. You may develop nausea, vomiting, flushing and headache.
- Inform your doctor if you have a liver disease. Your dose may need to be adjusted in severe liver disease.
Frequently asked questions for Ornidazole
Q. Why it is harmful to drink alcohol while using Ornidazole?
Alcohol should be strictly avoided while taking Ornidazole and for at least 3 days after completely stopping the medicine. Drinking alcohol can cause an unpleasant reaction (Disulfuram reaction) with symptoms such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, flushing or redness of the face.
Q. Can I stop taking Ornidazole when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Ornidazole and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.