Information about Orlistat
Orlistat is used in obesity.
How orlistat works
Orlistat inhibits enzymes responsible for the breakdown of fats in the intestine. As a result, Orlistat prevents the digestion and absorption of fats in the intestine.
Common side effects of orlistat
Abdominal pain, Fat in stool , Bowel incontinence, Flatus with discharge, Oily spotting, Diarrhoea, Abdominal cramp, Flatulence, Soft stools.
Available Medicine for Orlistat
- ₹272 to ₹464Meyer Organics Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹297 to ₹494Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹170 to ₹335Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹237 to ₹523Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹263 to ₹461Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹250 to ₹380Biocon2 variant(s)
- ₹242 to ₹415Eris Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹229 to ₹415Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹523Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹240 to ₹410Sinsan Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Orlistat
- Orlistat should not be taken if patient is allergic to orlistat.
- It should not be taken by those who have malabsorption (poor absorption) issues.
- It should not be taken by women who are breast feeding.
- It should not be taken with a high fat meal.
- Do not use this drug if you are pregnant.
Frequently asked questions for Orlistat
Q. Is Orlistat available in India?
Orlistat is available in India with the brand names Orlean, Vyfat, Lipocut, Olistat, Obelit, Orlica, Reeshape, Xenical and Zerofat
Q. Is Orlistat safe and effective?
Orlistat is safe and effective if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Orlistat available without prescription?
Orlistat as Alli is available without prescription but Xenical is available only with prescription. Always consult your doctor regarding its use
Q. How long can I take Orlistat?
Therapy should not continue for more than 6 months along with diet and exercise. If the patient does not lose weight in 12 weeks he/she should consult the doctor and follow his advice
Q. Can I take Orlistat with anti-depressants, antibiotics, gabapentine, levothyroxine, venlafaxine, metformin, raspberry ketones?
All these drugs are known to have some drug-drug interactions with Orlistat and hence should be taken together only based on doctor's recommendation
Q. Does Orlistat burn existing fat or reduce appetite?
Orlistat prevents absorption of fat from the food in the intestine. It does not burn fat. Orlistat may cause reduction of appetite
Q. Does Orlistat affect the liver or cause cancer?
No studies of Orlistat affecting the liver or causing cancer have been reported.