Information about Orlistat
Orlistat is used in obesity. It should be taken along with a low-calorie diet.
How orlistat works
Orlistat is a lipase inhibitor. It works in the stomach and small intestine by blocking the absorption of fat from food by blocking enzymes responsible for the breakdown of fat.
Common side effects of orlistat
Abdominal pain, Fat in stool , Bowel incontinence, Flatus with discharge, Oily spotting, Diarrhoea, Abdominal cramp, Flatulence, Soft stools
Available Medicine for Orlistat
- ₹291 to ₹491Meyer Organics Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹326 to ₹494Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹179 to ₹345Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹258 to ₹570Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹263 to ₹507Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹274 to ₹418Biocon2 variant(s)
- ₹266 to ₹457Eris Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹252 to ₹456Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹218 to ₹523Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹255 to ₹430Sinsan Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Orlistat
- Safe for long-term use. If taken along with a calorie restricted diet, Orlistat can help decrease nearly 10% of body weight in 1 year.
- Decreases fat absorption by about 30%.
- Take during or up to 1 hour after meal.
- Skip dose if you miss a meal or if your meal contains no fat.
- A multivitamin supplement containing vitamins A, D, and K, and β-carotene is recommended when taking Orlistat.
Frequently asked questions for Orlistat
Q. Is Orlistat available in India?
Orlistat is available in India with the brand names Orlean, Vyfat, Lipocut, Olistat, Obelit, Orlica, Reeshape, Xenical and Zerofat
Q. Is Orlistat safe and effective?
Orlistat is safe and effective if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Orlistat available without prescription?
Orlistat as Alli is available without prescription but Xenical is available only with prescription. Always consult your doctor regarding its use
Q. How long can I take Orlistat?
Therapy should not continue for more than 6 months along with diet and exercise. If the patient does not lose weight in 12 weeks he/she should consult the doctor and follow his advice
Q. Can I take Orlistat with anti-depressants, antibiotics, gabapentine, levothyroxine, venlafaxine, metformin, raspberry ketones?
All these drugs are known to have some drug-drug interactions with Orlistat and hence should be taken together only based on doctor's recommendation
Q. Does Orlistat burn existing fat or reduce appetite?
Orlistat prevents absorption of fat from the food in the intestine. It does not burn fat. Orlistat may cause reduction of appetite
Q. Does Orlistat affect the liver or cause cancer?
No studies of Orlistat affecting the liver or causing cancer have been reported.