Information about Olanzapine
How olanzapine works
Olanzapine works by modulating the action of certain chemical messengers in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of olanzapine
Sleepiness, Weight gain, Increased prolactin level in blood, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Olanzapine
- ₹28 to ₹68Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹148Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹1319Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd11 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹153Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd10 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹142Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹66Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹29 to ₹68Micro Labs Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹55La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹115Talent India7 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹68Unichem Laboratories Ltd8 variant(s)
Expert advice for Olanzapine
- Do not take olanzapine tablet if you are allergic to olanzapine or any other ingredient in the medicine.Do not drive or operate machinery immediately after taking olanzapine as it may cause drowsiness.
- Avoid taking olanzapine if you have mental illnesses like suicidal thoughts, depression; or suffering from fits (epilepsy), Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer disease or dementia.
- Do not start or continue taking olanzapine, if you are suffering from diabetes; heart problems, high blood pressure or high cholesterol; breathing problems, increased pressure inside the eye that causes visual problems (glaucoma) or other eye related problems.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking olanzapine as it may cause drowsiness.
Frequently asked questions for Olanzapine
Q. Is olanzapine a narcotic/sedative/used for anxiety/addictive?
Olanzapine is not a narcotic/sedative/used for anxiety. It is used to treat schizophrenia patients who suffer from symptoms like seeing or hearing things which are actually not present. It is also used to treat manic episodes in patients. It also stabilized mood in patients with bipolar disorders. It is not generally known to be addictive
Q. Is olanzapine a benzodiazepine/SSRI/MAOI?
Olanzapine is not a benzodiazepine or SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) or MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor). It is used to treat psychosis.
Q. Is it like Xanax or valium?
Olanzapine is not like Xanax or valium but all of them belong to the same class of medication called benzodiazepines
Q. Can olanzapine be used forever?
No drug should be used forever until specifically advised by the doctor
Q. Can I take diazepam/ibuprofen/paracetamol/zopiclone/ tramadol/sertraline/citalopram/Seroquel/ Xanax with olanzapine?
Olanzapine can be taken along with Ibuprofen (pain killer)/ paracetamol (analgesic) but only under strict instructions from the doctor. Olanzapine preferably should not be taken with tramadol (opioid pain killer)/ zopiclone (insomnia treatment)/diazepam or valium (benzodiazepines)/ sertraline (anti-depressant)/ citalopram (anti-depressant)/Seroquel (anti-depressant). Drugs are known to interact with each other and cause side effects. Drugs should be taken in combination only as per the advice of the doctor
Q. Does olanzapine cause weight gain/memory loss/ depression/anxiety/ hair loss/sleepiness?
Olanzapine is known to have side effects like weight gain/memory loss/ depression/anxiety/ hair loss/sleepiness
Q. Does it cause increased dopamine?
Olanzapine is not known to cause increased dopamine. Please inform the doctor immediately about the side effects observed by you.